Noisy drunken students - Page 2 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Noisy drunken students

Page 2 / 2

ACK
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ack)
Trusted Member

Hi there,

I got almost no sleep at all last night.  It's relatively common on Friday / Saturday nights to hear loud noises at night (especially between midnight and 5am) but last night was next level.

In Coimbra, the "burning of the ribbons" event is imminent and doubtless the revelry is connected to that. Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone has any info on what laws are applicable to situations where groups of drunken students are causing disturbances in the small hours of the morning?  We are not just talking about people speaking loudly.  Last night, I experienced lots of singing in groups (sounded like football chanting), people screaming and people using whistles and drums as they made their way through the streets - at 4am.  I don't even live in the heart of the city.  I am on the far side of the botanical garden, well away from the university and student dorms.

I don't mind a bit of occasional noise, even late at night I can tolerate it.  However, 15 minutes of whistles, drums and maracas - basically a marching drunken band at 4am is too much for me.

If anyone has any ideas what I can do, please let me know.  There must be laws against public nuisance or breach of the peace?  Here's hoping. 

27 Replies

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @ack

Basically, civilized societies tend to have regulations prohibiting this type of disturbance.

Wow...

Well, ok then...

1 Reply
 ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@hank_2021 Well, they do. As Old Bloke has pointed out, Portugal does too. I have never believed or suggested that the noise that I experienced was legal.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Reputable Member

I happen to have been staying in Coimbra last week and also noticed lots of students dressed in their black academic uniforms out and about.  Sara Cruz of GoWalks Portugal (who a great tour guide) told me that May is the traditional month for  student festivities.  What you heard may have been part of the activities related to the Monumental Serenade. The Queima das Fitas is not the only student event in Coimbra in May. 

1 Reply
 ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Thanks for the input.  Honestly, whatever kept me up all night last Friday can be called by whatever name it wants.  For me, it was just a  public disturbance.  I have confirmed that no permit existed for the noise in my area at even close to that time.  As I have mentioned, I live well away from any areas of festivities in a quiet road. What I experienced was probably groups of drunken students returning from the events and making plenty noise along the way. When I said it was like a marching band, they certainly had drums and were banging them randomly, but there was nothing musical about it.  It was just some louts making noise, screaming and blowing whistles.  Certainly not an organized musical effort.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @ack

In truth, I would feel a  bit of trepidation about living near a forest, what with all the fire risk they have during the summer. 

The risk is there but can be minimised by rigorously following the law (and suggested advice) regarding proximity of combustible material and trees. My efforts in following it were rewarded when we got hit by one of the fatal fires in 2017, our house was unscathed.

5 Replies
 ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke Out of interest, how far is it suggested that a house should be from a forest? I know that if the owner takes care of the tree spacing, undergrowth etc then fire is not so much of a risk, but as a general rule, how far is far enough to avoid problems? There is some land with low trees (about 3 meters tall) about 50 meters from my land.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@ack 

Owners of land around houses, warehouses, workshops and factories are required to:

Keep a strip of land of 50 meters around the house and other buildings clean;
Cut tree branches up to 4 meters above the ground;
Keep a spacing of 4 meters between trees (10 meters for pines and eucalyptus);
Cut trees and bushes less than 5 meters from the building and prevent branches from projecting over the roof.

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@antonio_f I am building a  new home on empty land. Does this mean that when my home goes up, the owners of the land with trees on it will suddenly have to follow these rules?  It sounds like I will be imposing a burden on them.  I don't want to do that - the trees were there first. Is it normal for the owners of new houses to contribute financially to the upkeep of existing forested areas around them? I am prepared to do this. These trees are pine and not that old, as I said about 3 meters tall.  They are well under 4 meters apart and cutting the branches under 4m would effectively involve removal of all the branches. 

I can't imagine I would be very popular when i build on the land and my neighbor gets the news that he has to fell a portion of his crop and bear the expenses as a result. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@ack 

Some people will claim you can't have any trees within 50 metres of an isolated property and 100 metres from village extremities. That is wrong, those distances are the fuel management bands, you can have trees (correctly thinned and lower branches removed) within those fuel management bands.
I have a workshop/tool store 3 metres from from my western boundary. The neighbouring property was unmanaged pine forest with a mato covered floor which was completely destroyed in the fire, my workshop was undamaged despite only being 3 metres away from the pines and mato. I also have olive trees right on that boundary, the leaves were killed but being a fire resistant tree they survived and produced a crop again in 2018.

The below two websites have good info if you want to know more about mitigating fire risk.

inovgeo.pt

portugalwildfires.com 

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke Thanks for the info. Yes, there is a lot of conflicting information about this topic.  I will go through those sites to understand things more fully.

Page 2 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online