Notary services – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Notary services

Community Member
Topic starter
(@georges)

Good morning.

I need to a copy of my passport notarized.  In the US, you can just go to your bank and they will do it.
Do the banks in Portugal provide that service?
If not, who does?

Thank you.

5 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Estimable Member

A notary will do this for you - if you're already in Portugal, there is at least one in every town of any size ("cartório notarial" is what to look out for).  They are a regulated function, so costs vary very little - a service like this may be on-the-spot, or may require you to wait, or book and come back, depending on their workload.  However, notarisation of documents is a standard thing, so it should be quite straightforward.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@georges)

@thomasribatejo Went to the local notario and he was able to do it on the spot.  Thank you.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure a Portuguese notary cannot notarise a passport issued by a foreign country.

The British embassy in Portugal does it for UK passports, I would imagine the US embassy offers the same for US passports.

1 Reply
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke in my experience they can notarise a copy as being a genuine copy of an original seen by them; but not vouch for anything further in terms of that original.

(@martinhardy)

Yep. My understanding is that Notarising a document is simply stating that it is a true copy of an original, it does not claim any authenticity of the original. The Apostille is the authentication of a document, or copy thereof.

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online