Novels set in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Novels set in Portugal  

Admin
(@astridff)

Perhaps you aren’t living in Portugal yet... these novels will take you there.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/02/10-best-novels-set-in-portugal-saramago-monica-ali?CMP=share_btn_fb

3 Replies
Community Member
(@cabanastavira)

Just read Robert Wilson's, 'A Small Death in Lisbon.' It won the CWA Gold Dagger for fiction - it is an extremely good book, if rather explicitly violent in places. It does give you an insight into the country's role in WW2, the Nazis and the PIDE. I am going to re-read!

Community Member
(@cabanastavira)
 Ruth
Premium Member
(@ruth)

To understand the history of Portugal during the era of the Napoleonic wars when Portugal was an ally of the British, I suggest " The Spanish Bride   by Georgette Heyer.Much of it of course in Portugal. This is based on the true story of officer Harry Smith and his wartime marriage to Juana.   History, adventure , and romance! Btw, the city of " Ladysmith" in SAfrica is named after her.

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online