Olive oil – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Olive oil

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)
Eminent Member

Folks, 

I'm planning on spending the month of October this year travelling throughout Portugal. Any recommendations as to which vineyard / farm has the best olive oil? Ideally, I'd like to ship some back to the U.S., or alternatively, pack a bunch in my luggage.

Thanks!

Gina

Topic Tags
3 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

What an interesting question!  I hadn't come across anything independent, but how about this:

http://www.concursonacionaldeazeite.pt/os-melhores-azeites-de-portugal.html

Cabeço das Nogueiras Premium also rated highest of the Portuguese contenders in a recent Spanish competition of international olive oils - they can be found here

and are based in Abrantes.

Oliveira da Serra – Seleção Verde  and Gallo – Colheita ao Luar* scored next best in that competition, followed by Oliveira da Serra – Lagar do Marmelo.

(Note - the subtitle, e.g. Seleção Verde, matters as many producers make loads, much of which is mass market.  Also, re the *, this one is night harvested, which is a controversial process when done by machine as it leads to the death of vast numbers of birds, so on ethical grounds, I would recommend avoiding it.)

Of course, what you find best will depend on what you want to do with it. Most wine producers (at least in the Alentejo/Ribatejo, but elsewhere too) also make olive oil.  There are many single varietals, with their own specific properties.  These would all be a waste as a cooking oil, but depending on the delicateness of the dish, would be good for dressing, or for dipping (but don't add balsamic if you're using premium EVOO, as I am sure you know!)

In terms of pricing, Cabeço das Nogueiras Premium should be no more than €9-10 per 500ml, Oliveira da Serra – Seleção Verde is €5-6 for 750ml (but as it's a big producer, you can find it for as little as €4 in promotions).  €20 per litre is really the most you should ever need to pay for a top end EVOO, and €4-5 max for an everyday EVOO.  Beware cynical overpricing in shops aimed at tourists!

If you're after versatile cooking and dressing olive oil, traditional sellers in mercados municipais will sell 5 litre bottles for €20-25 - this is now pretty much all we buy, as it is wonderful in almost every context.  However, the relatively flimsy bottles won't ship well.  Every now and then, if we're at a vineyard, we get a small, special bottle for dipping.

Oliveira da Serra, in Ferreira do Alentejo, has a whole vineyard-type experience for Olive Oil.  https://www.oliveiradaserra.pt/en/   If you head that way, and want a nice overnight stay, consider http://casadoinfante.pt/  which is in Ferreira, and is friendly and well-priced.  Nearby is Herdade do Rocim, an excellent wine producer which also makes great olive oil.  Their tour and tasting is one of the best we've done. https://rocim.pt/en/   We just did all these bits on a long weekend this month!

Have a wonderful trip in October - perfect month to visit!  If you're heading in the Ribatejo direction, feel free to connect for more info!

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

1 Reply
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

Ignore the dead link, sorry - I wish I could edit things once posted!

If that's dead, look for SAOVABRANTES on Facebook!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)
Eminent Member

Thomas, you're amazing!

I had no idea there was an annual international olive oil competition, and held in NYC no less (my hometown). And Portugal holds its own competition. And then there's an Olive Oil Times, how great!

Thank you ever so much for all the research and information. I'm definitely adding Oliveira da Serra to my October itinerary!

Best regards,

Gina

• Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online