Online event after chat - We’ve Just Arrived in Portugal! 20th May – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Online event after chat - We’ve Just Arrived in Portugal! 20th May

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@sally-in-lisbon)

If you would like to keep chatting or connect after the event, say hello here 🙂 

I'm Sally from Expats Portugal, you may have seen my name in your inbox if you're on our mailing list.

Thanks to those of you that joined us this evening, really enjoyed hearing the first impressions. I have been here for 7 years and it takes me back 🤗 

Anyone else just landed or arriving in the coming months?

16 Replies

Premium Member
(@mikefreeman)

Happy to field questions on coming from the UK or investing in crypto. Portugal is one of the best countries in the world to be invested in crypto. Just message me here.

1 Reply
Admin
(@sally-in-lisbon)

@mikefreeman Looking forward to speaking to you about that. I'm definitely crypto curious!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

Hello!

I´m Ana from the beautiful Cascais.

Glad to help anyone with questions about Cascais or Portugal in general, as I am portuguese 😊 and inviting for ice creams if you visit me here. 😋 

You can reach me at Ask Our Expats if you need. 

Obrigada!

2 Replies
Admin
(@sally-in-lisbon)

@anavieira

I’m not far away here in Lisbon! Maybe one day we could make a little Expats Portugal ice-cream meetup in Cascais 😀 Either way it would be nice to meet you in person one day, ice-cream or no ice-cream 🙂

(@anavieira)

@sally-in-lisbon

I’d love that!!

ice cream is just an excuse 😜

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Special thanks to our guests tonight and our attendees for your great participation.

Bun
Community Member
(@bun)

Hiya, Thank you everyone, such interesting discussion.  We’re still fairly early on in our plans, so feeling our way around the info and looking on the site here.  I must be the only person in the world who doesn’t know how to use Zoom! How do I retrieve comments and links, or don’t I? 🤣 thank you!
Please forgive if this is a daft question..... are stray dogs friendly?  I’m a bit wary of dogs, after a distressing incident.  We’ll also will be bringing our beloved cat who isn’t used to dogs and worrying a little, a lot!  Thank you!

5 Replies
Admin
(@sally-in-lisbon)

@bun really glad you enjoyed it, it's great when people join us live in Zoom. So many lovely people from all over the world! 

When the meeting is closed the chat disappears I'm afraid, is it also why I also wanted to make an after event forum post in case there was something to follow up on. It's not you! 🙂

About your questions regarding dogs, which part of Portugal are you thinking of coming to? I don't find stray dogs roaming around here in the centre of Lisbon and haven't noticed any in other large cities or towns. In villages you can see dogs roaming free, but I rarely see dogs off the leash around Lisbon, just a few well behaved ones. I have lived here for 7 years in a few different neighbourhoods. When visiting small towns and villages I have seen dogs roaming around and haven’t had a problem. They often have an owner, but of course you can still be unlucky. Best to ask here in the forum about the specific area.

(@thomasribatejo)

@sally-in-lisbon agreed re dogs - strays are not a widespread issue these days (those which are noticed are usually picked up fairly rapidly by municipal kennels, animal charities, or kind people).  However, in rural areas, it's common to find people's dogs roaming free, often with no collar; and even in suburbs and cities, some (irresponsible, or just elderly) owners let their dogs out for a bit for exercise... but they rarely seem to be at all aggressive.  (Near us, they are adorable, except when peeing on our door posts...)

Barking is another matter - do try to check, if buying in a rural hamlet or small town, what the evening noise level is like, if barking troubles you.  Occasional places have umpteen dogs behind their fences/gates, "chatting" all night!

Admin
(@sally-in-lisbon)

@thomasandmatthew "chatting" yes 😀 When I visited friends near Castelo de Vide, there were dogs chatting across the valleys! one sets one off and then there is a whole big "conversation". Having dogs bark here doesn't seem to be considered much of a big deal compared to the UK. I have heard Carl say the same on the Expats Portugal morning show 

Bun
Community Member
(@bun)

@thomasandmatthew thanks for your reply.  My biggest worry is our cat!  We will do some more investigation as we're looking 'semi' rural in Tavira area. The issue of barking is another one that we've not considered!  Thank you!  Enjoy your weekend.

Bun
Community Member
(@bun)

@sally-in-lisbon thanks.  I actually photographed a couple of the links and have found what I need anyway.  Using the big Mac rather than my old laptop also is alien to me so I was a bit techno phobey....

Thanks for your comments re dogs.  We are looking around the Tavira area, I have a friend living there now.  I have arthritis issues and asthma, so the better winters are a draw!  Something semi rural, so I'll put another note out to see if someone from the area has thoughts.  My friend is getting involved in charities and rescues, but I wanted another view.  

Take care and have a lovely weekend full of sunshine!  Rain and gales here, again 😥 😥 

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online