Portugal lockdown being voted on tomorrow – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Portugal lockdown being voted on tomorrow

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jives)
Trusted Member

Argh did I just see that Portugal might go into lockdown for November? 😵 Parliament voting on it tomorrow...🌻 

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

It's not as simple as that.

121 municpalities with high covid numbers are under tighter measures than the rest of Portugal.

Over the Halloween weekend there was a nationwide lockdown for the whole Country keeping everyone in their area of residence. During this it became apparent that the Portuguese Constitution does not allow a such restriction of rights unless a State of Emergency has been declared, currently the country is in a State of Calamity.

The powers that be are now going to legitimise the restrictions by declaring a State of Emergency but current statements from both the President and the Prime Minister are that if any lock-down is brought in it will be selective in that it will only be applied to the high risk municipalities.

Portuguese media is the same as media everywhere writing headline grabbing stories (often wrong). All we can do is wait until the law is published in to see exactly what's coming. 

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jives)
Trusted Member

Good points and one I should know because I absolutely try and avoid mainstream media in the UK.  But scouring the interwebs trying to glean as much info on Portugal as I can have led me down the hysterical rabbit hole. 

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Not been published by the government yet but reported in Portugal Resident:

Portugal announced last night it will impose night-time curfews from 11 pm to 5 am on Monday, for 15 days. Costa also announced that people are not advised to leave their homes on weekends between 1pm and 5am. 

If true, I can't see that confining weekend shoppers to all go out shopping before 1pm is a very bright idea 😳

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jives)

Trusted Member

@christopherdouglas thanks for keeping us posted. Not too bad considering our plans😏

As a mere mortal I've spent long pondering measures taken by various governments worldwide to stop the spread but in the end all I can do is make sure I am not responsible for anyone else getting the virus or God forbid dying. 

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

The curfews only apply in the 121 municipalities.

The weekend restrictions in those places is presumably aimed at curbing family gatherings where people from different households assemble for meals, as is commonplace here.

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online