Range cookers – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Range cookers

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbee)

Hi, I have got used to my Rangemaster cooker in the UK and will be leaving it behind shortly when we move over to Portugal. I bought mine relatively recently for the same money that it is still available for now, which was £999. from Curries. (It's their budget model)

I have however just priced a like for like replacement up with the Rangemaster recommended Portuguese dealer and it is €2500.

Is this price difference pretty normal, or can somebody point me towards an outlet that offers better value.

Thanks in advance, Mary.

12 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

This kind of pricing is quite normal for goods which are not only not Portuguese-made (Spanish is the next cheapest, discounting the far East, generally), but are also not commonly used and therefore bought by any number of Portuguese people/residents.  New kitchens have built-in, older ones have simpler standalone units, as a general rule.

Portugal is a small country in relative terms, and when you add transport costs for large, heavy items which don't sell in quantity, lots gets added.  And that's before any Brexit or COVID impacts.  So the agents here are probably not raking in the 1.5k, or anything like it.

I'm guessing you've found AGABras, the Portuguese national agent:
Email: info@agabras.com
Web: http://www.agabras.com

They are the only authorised agent in Portugal, which is why it's hard to find them elsewhere.  Unless you find someone reselling one - which is only likely to be an Expat, I reckon, who may also have paid a lot for it - you may need to just bite the bullet!

It's probably worth checking, whoever you buy from, how the warranty works, and also consider the cost and availability of repairs outside that time.  If you're in the Algarve, I'm guessing that company will help. If you're up north, you may find it harder to get parts and service.

Alternatively, check out other options.  If size, rather than sleek styling, is the priority, there are quite a lot on the market - avoid the Worten/Radio Popular places, and look for independent or smaller stores.  Spain has more options, and many retailers there will deliver here (for a price, which can be reasonable or not, depending on the retailer).

Bear in mind your fuel options.  If you're used to mains gas, you may find your location here doesn't have that available, in which case gas comes in bottles, and needs a professional installation if not already present, and if you cook a lot, frequent replacement of bottles. If you have to have a new bottle installation, aim to put the bottles outside, then you can get 45kg Propane cylinders, which last 4 times as long - and you can get setups with 2 bottles with taps to change over, reducing chances of running out.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

2 Replies
Community Member
(@woodbee)

@thomasandmatthew

Hi Thomas, thank you so much for your very comprehensive and helpful response. Lots of good advice. It was indeed "Agabras". I will take your advice and seek out some of the more localised independent stores.

I don't want to buy a used one as I find that you are usually just buying somebody else's problems.

Mary

(@thomasandmatthew)

@woodbee the "someone else's problems" is generally very true - however, you do sometimes find people leaving Portugal selling very good stuff they can't take with them; or people buying homes owned by an expat who put something in, that the new owners don't want.  (This is often true of cars, furniture, etc - in a way one doesn't find in, say, the UK)

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

I agree with all the above comments.

Just one question though.

Where are you going to be based in Portugal?

I see that AGABras is based in São Bras.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@woodbee)

@barlaventoexpert Hi, I will be near Ansaio.

(@thomasandmatthew)

Ansião has a Tien21 franchise - this is a network of independent appliance stores with group buying power.  I am not specifically recommending them, however their site has a lot of products, which may give you an idea re local options:
https://www.tien21.pt/grandes-electrodomesticos/fogoes

In the Coimbra area, notably, you'll find lots of appliance places, so a day trawling around the industrial estates on the outskirts there might give you other ideas.  Electrodomésticos is the term to search for; or Google maps uses "appliance store".  Legwork often saves a bit of money - many places don't have online inventory, and the places that do can charge you more for the items.

If you find a Portuguese or Spanish product you like, google KuantoKusta and use that site to see what prices are like for the make/model you like - this can help sense-check the pricing you find on many electrical goods etc.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbee)

Thanks again Thomas, extremely constructive.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online