Receiving SMS to Portuguese number while abroad – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Receiving SMS to Portuguese number while abroad

14 Posts
4 Users
13 Likes
 ACK
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ack)

Shortly, I am going to Thailand for several months.  I have a Portuguese number tied to my bank and I would like to know if anyone has experience receiving text messages sent to Portuguese numbers while overseas?  Preferably, outside of the EEA. If I can't get the text from the bank it could mean that I won't be able to initiate transactions while out of Portugal.  I am obviously, hopeful that I can maintain account functionality. Any insight appreciated. 

I am with Vodafone and have a pay as you go plan, which I top up every 28 days. 

13 Replies

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

We used Vodafones' travel plan for 3 euros a day while we were back in the US. We got their texts anytime we turned it on. 

The phone service was another story due to the carriers we were on in remote areas of the states. It would tell us voice calling might not work. It did not work for voice in those areas but the data and text did.

ACK
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ack)

3 euros a day seems pricey to me.  I'm usually paying Euro 14 a month. Do you mean that without subscription to that service, I won't be able to receive texts at all?  I might as well just cancel it then. 

1 Reply
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@ack 

It was only when we used it which was only a couple of days in two weeks. 6 euros total. We always stayed on wifi networks otherwise.

ACK
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ack)

Ok that may be doable then.  I will be away for 5.5 months, so you can understand my pricing concern if it had to be paid every day. 

2 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@ack 

Darn they are charging 7.50 a day for other countries. You can find the details here. I hate digging through their site to see what it is really going to cost.

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

@jonesdn2020 It has been established that in Portugal the mobile phone operators definitely know how to charge.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

I've had no problems receiving texts to my PT (Vodafone) SIM (dual SIM phone, that's my primary SIM) in several countries, including well outside the EU. Nothing was required in terms of a plan, there is normally no cost to receive texts, just to send them. As I make pretty much zero calls, and rely on wi-fi, when outside the EU, I've never paid for an add-on, but was able to authenticate myself using 2FA without issue or cost (for PT systems).

2 Replies
 ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

@thomasribatejo I assume you are on a contract?  I am on a pay as you go.  I wonder if there will be any difference.  I don't need to use data or send texts. Just receive. Therefore, your response brings me hope that I can avoid being fleeced for 7.50 per day. That really is an outlandish price.  Even by the standards of Portuguese mobile carriers, you have to admire the extra effort they put into the 7.50 per day setup, just to sting their customers that little bit more.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@ack You don't need to be on a contract to be able to receive texts freely - provided your card isn't deactivated through lack of use. Check what the minimum usage is (eg 1 paid use every 90 days, which I believe was the timing for my original PAYG Vodafone card, before I moved to a contract) and if need be, make 1 call before it expires, and suck up the €1 or whatever that costs.  Much better than daily amounts for nothing!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal