RVing? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

RVing?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

Hello all,

I am moving with my family (including 3 small children) to Portugal in June 2021 from the US. Upon arrival we would like to take the summer before school starts, and while we await our immigration appointment to apply for the residency card, to travel. We would like to take a good amount of time exploring Portugal  to make an informed decision on where we want to live and are also considering taking a month or so to sight see in Spain and France. I am thinking that this would be most easily done with an RV rather than serial vacation rentals. Does anyone have experience with RVing in these areas? When I look at RV rentals they all seem to be more like EuroVan-size, which would be very small for a family of 5. Are larger RV's common/a possibility? We would prefer not to have to buy an RV for just these 3 months, but depending on the cost of the rental it may make more sense. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks all!

Melanie

4 Replies
Community Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

...I have found larger motorhomes (with the current terminology on goggle!), and it's looking like for the 2.5 months we are wanting it would be 12-15k euros to rent, or we can buy for 25k or so. Buying seems like the right thing to do, then we have the ability to sell or rent it out afterward. The visas we will be getting will have 2 re-entries on them before getting our Residency cards, so I don't think the travel should be a problem, is that correct? Also, is there a certain class/size of motorhome that needs a special license in PT?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

Thank you for the tips! I haven't found a van yet that will fit 5 people, but I can keep looking. Are pickups with a trailer an option so we can park the trailer then have a truck to drive into the villages? Is that something that we would be able to find?

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

@williwaw36, hi,

We've lived here for 4 years a d haven't seen a pick-up with a trailer like you would find in the States 😕

And, as Anna said, a larger rv will have problems in lots of the villages in Portugal 😕

I appreciate that you need the space so, don't know what to suggest 😗

An, very expensive option, would be a large rv towing a smaller car for visiting places! Ridiculous idea 😡😡

Really depends upon what sort of home you are looking for. With the family, I  would assume a reasonable sized house, well established, some land, maybe a pool? Which, would probably mean that you wouldn't be looking at the smaller villages a anyway 😗

Sorry, not much use really!

If you knew what area you were looking in, then renting a property and a minibus would be good. Maybe you could do this in a few areas? Rent a place for a month, then rent another in a different area?

Just thinking,

All the best, Chris 👍

Community Member
Topic starter
(@williwaw36)

Thank you, Chris! I appreciate your thoughtful response. It is looking tough. Sounds like we need to decide between squeezing into a very small space (the kids are 3, 5 and 8 so it could happen?), or doing serial VRBOs.

We will be downsizing and coming to Portugal with only 1 check bag and 1 carry on each with all of our possessions in them. Still, 5 large check bags and 5 carry on bags with 3 carseats isnt a small amount. If we end up renting VRBOs, my next challenge will be getting a car that is large enough to fit all of us and our bags. In the States we have a minivan but I am assuming those are hard to come by in PT? 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal