SEF appointment – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner

SEF appointment

KLC
Community Member
Topic starter
(@klc)
Trusted Member

Our lawyer just informed my significant other of his SEF appointment. It’s the first week of March… very exciting 

We have a rental for 4 months when we arrive. After the first of the year, we will be scouting out places in Portugal to see where we would like to be for the necessary year lease needed for residency. Once we decide on an area we will enlist the assist of a real estate agent with our property. We may buy or rent I do t know which way we may go. A rental is a good idea for the first year while we get a feel for Portugal and travel the country.

The obligation would only be for a year unlike a purchase of property which would be forever and a huge undertaking as we settle into a new country.

Our first place is in the center of town in the historic district of Setubal. Setubal had so much to offer….it’s a mix of locals and expats not too touristy like Lisbon. I like being able to get in a train and be in the city of Lisbon in 40 minutes. 

We like being near the ocean, walkability to cafes, coffee shops, shops, services, entertainment. We will not have a car and will be relying on public transportation. 

It’ll be an exciting time with a few challenges along the way I am sure.We are ready to become part of the community!! 

4 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Eminent Member

Renting during the first year is ideal if you don't know the country. This way you can rent in different parts of the country and know it better. There's also the possibility (not yet very usual) of renting with a buying option, where a part of the rent is deducted on the property price.

RonM
Community Member
(@ronm)

We’ll be coming to Lisbon next month for our SEF appointment.  Hoping to do a day trip to Setúbal.  Not been there before but understand that it is lovely.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Eminent Member

@ronm From Lisbon, you can reach Setúbal by train or bus.

Community Member
(@davidb)

Still struggling to get an appointment for my wife.  I called last week and was told that the agency is not doing family reunification appointments at this time but will do them again at some stage.  Hardly reassuring.  How can they just stop an entire class of appointment? I have a lawyer also trying to make the appointment.  The lawyer is now exploring legal action.  Apparently, you can go to administrative court and have family reunification rights granted by judicial decision.  I am waiting for the projected costs of that before plunging in.  If it is only a few thousand I would do the same thing with the driving licence exchange and Numero de utente.  The delays here are shocking.  With SEF, it cannot even be termed a delay, they have simply suspended family reunification appointments. 

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online