Shipping Household to Portugal on D7 Update – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Shipping Household to Portugal on D7 Update

Page 1 / 4

Premium Plus member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

For those of you that did not catch Thursday's Ei! session with Carl. Cristina mentioned a new rule that you cannot ship items to Portugal duty free until you obtain residence. Feel free to watch and like the event on You Tube and if you are not subscribed, please do so in order to stay informed.

Topic Tags
26 Replies

Premium Member
(@crecarole)
Trusted Member

Hi:

Permanent residence or temporary residence?  As in approved D7 - will that work?  Yikes!  Thanks for the heads up.....I will look at Thursday's session with Carl on YouTube....

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @crecarole

As in approved D7 - will that work?

A D7 is only a visa that allows you to enter Portugal and seek approval from SEF to become resident. Until SEF approve your application and issue you a resident's permit you aren't a resident. If you're not a resident you can't claim the duty free import of your goods from a third country (any non EU country) because that concession is only available to new residents.

It's only a "new" rule in so much that it now affects UK citizens since the UK is no longer in the EU.

Premium Member
(@crecarole)
Trusted Member

Thanks.  So when is this new rule in effect?  That hits EVERYONE from every non-EU country seeking to live in Portugal.  How is it possible to work?  Most people don't have 5-7 months to store things and THEN have them shipped...Who is going to handle that for them if they've already moved, unless they pay the huge costs of shipping companies storing their goods.  And after sitting for a long amount of time in storage or at sea, is anything even worth having shipped?  This is a big issue...I appreciate everyone's info and will also check in with my own attorney and all 4 companies that sent me quotes.....  I am grateful for the info!

Premium Plus member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

Please watch the show here. There were other insights regarding the D7 provided by Cristina. My wording of "rule" is not what she stated. Watch it and get the wording straight from her.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@crecarole)

Trusted Member

@jonesdn2020 Yikes.  Thanks very much.  Time to call my attorney!

Page 1 / 4

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online