Shipping Household to Portugal on D7 Update - Page 2 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Shipping Household to Portugal on D7 Update

Page 2 / 4

Premium Plus member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)
Estimable Member

For those of you that did not catch Thursday's Ei! session with Carl. Cristina mentioned a new rule that you cannot ship items to Portugal duty free until you obtain residence. Feel free to watch and like the event on You Tube and if you are not subscribed, please do so in order to stay informed.

Topic Tags
24 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @crecarole

Thanks.  So when is this new rule in effect?

It's not a new rule, it's been in effect for as long as I can remember and probably could be traced back to the 1970's when the Common Market was formed before it eventually morphed into the EU.
Only Brits tend to refer to it as a new rule because it's an old rule that didn't apply to them till they left the EU. 

That hits EVERYONE from every non-EU country seeking to live in Portugal.  How is it possible to work?

That's how it's worked for years throughout the EU.
The options are good timing to avoid storage, pay for storage, or pay the import duty then claim it back once you become a resident.

And after sitting for a long amount of time in storage or at sea, is anything even worth having shipped?

Whether it's worth bringing household effects with you is a decision everyone has to make. 

Premium Member
(@crecarole)
Trusted Member

Thanks, Everyone.  Not one of the shipping companies mentioned this.  Yes, they all have a baggage claim form included in a bunch of other forms you need, but not one of them said, you - the shipper - needs to send this filled in form and accompanying payment and other documents, if necessary, to the Consulate or Embassy before we can ship anythingThis is your responsibility. That would have been really helpful to know.  Everything I read up to this point said $10K worth of personal goods were duty free.  So, it's one more curve ball in the last 30 days before I leave on June 30 to start my new life.  Now I have to rethink - hard - bringing the things I thought hard about before....taking only the things I thought I couldn't stand to be without.  New thought processes starting all over again, in short order.....Thanks again. Heavy Sigh....

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

So, it's one more curve ball in the last 30 days before I leave on June 30 to start my new life.  Now I have to rethink - hard - bringing the things I thought hard about before....taking only the things I thought I couldn't stand to be without.  New thought processes starting all over again, in short order.....Thanks again. Heavy Sigh....

Don't put yourself under too much stress, you have 12 months from becoming resident (you're not yet a resident with a D7 visa) to claim the duty free import of personal goods.
It might involve storage costs in the US but at least your decision wouldn't be rushed.

Premium Member
(@crecarole)
Trusted Member

Thanks, it will be amazing to be able to relax at some point, but this last 30 day push, plus the 11th hour curve balls, are not at all fun. 

Perhaps the best thing for me is to just suck up the duty and the tax and get my stuff.  I don't have a great deal, but these things are important to me.  Not even a full 20 ft container according the shipping companies that I had been reviewing quotes from, although 3 of the 4 suggested I do a 20 ft container anyway because it would ship faster and I wouldn't have to share, which is apparently a disaster waiting to happen.  Many stories of shared containers where stuff gets mixes up between the parties, etc.  Thanks for your support, though!  I am appreciative.  I'll get through it all if I survive it.....looking forward to the other side of all this hassle.

1 Reply
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Reputable Member

@crecarole Hello, I did not listen to the Ei presentation but I know having just had my container delivered a week ago that the rules have changed. I did have trouble obtaining the appropriate PT paperwork when I arrived in Portugal. Not only do you need the baggage certificate (not sure who your forwarder is but I got estimates from about 10 companies and they all discussed the need for a baggage certificate) but residence cert from your freguusia and your NIF address must match all the other addresses (baggage cert and freguesia). If it were me I would store it in the US until you have all your documents in a row. Of course up to you but if I can help with any questions please PM me

Premium Member
(@crecarole)
Trusted Member

Thanks for that info, it is really helpful.  I have a couple of issues with all this!  One, no budget to store in the US until everything gets settled months after I move, and  2) No one to trust left in the USA to attend to the storage unit and/or management of getting stuff to the shippers.  Yes, all of the shipping companies I "interviewed" did mention the baggage certificate, but not one of them said it was a document that I had to fill out and send to the Consulate.  It appeared as though it was just another document to go with the whole set of paperwork needed in any case, to ship stuff and it appeared it was something they did.

I started looking hard at shipping luggage companies over the weekend to see if that was a better way to send some of the smaller things.  But then again, a few boxes here and there will not make much difference in cost for a larger shipment with a few pieces of furniture from a shipping company.  5 small boxes at about 20 pounds each would be about $700.  That seems like a lot when those same 5 boxes in a larger "shipping company shipment" wouldn't make any difference in costs.

In reading expat blogs and online journals, one thing I have seen consistently is that people are sorry they didn't take more things with them in certain categories - like tools, "knock around the house to do repairs" old clothes, books in English, art supplies if you are creatively inclined, etc. I see some people mention spices and items like that, too.   In reading the importation rules, it seems as though food stuffs are not allowed. 

Anyway, there are a lot of moving parts to consider!

2 Replies
 Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Reputable Member

@crecarole A lot for you to consider. Most moving companies will be able to store your things in their warehouse once they pack and load it. Depending on the load weight and their particular fees the storage costs can vary. I shipped a 20' container and because I had it loaded early mid Feb (I did not leave for Portugal until mid March specifically to have time to get the baggage certificate before leaving. The consulates issue that in the US and send it to your address in the US, not to Portugal) I ended up paying a month of warehouse storage in the US, $160 for 3200 lbs. Different companies have different storage costs they can quote.

You might check required custom documents with a Portuguese destination agent, mover. I recommend Premier Moving in Sintra who handled my move here and did an excellent job. They can tell you the documents you will need to clear customs. If your NIF address does not match where you are moving, that is a problem. For most people I believe their NIF is not changed until they move to Portugal and my understanding is that SEF no longer is inclined to allow the change of a NIF until you have your resident appointment. It was one of the 2 obstacles I encountered when organizing my paperwork for customs once I moved. Boa sorte

Premium Member
(@crecarole)

Trusted Member

@bert Thank you so much for replying and letting me know about your experience.  This creates a couple of issues for me if what you went through is standard.  I believe the address on my NIF might be my POA's address and not the place I am moving to.  Yikes!  I have to check that out ASAP.

I was trying not to incur storage costs because I have a very strict budget.  But for $160 for a whole month, that's not so bad.  

It might make more sense now that somehow my organized self got to this  11th hour point without understanding all the parameters for the shipping component, to just ship and pay the dang duty.  Now I have to find out how that works, too.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Page 2 / 4

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online