Skype – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Page 1 / 4

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@auntyems)
Estimable Member

Just to let you all know, I uploaded Skype at the weekend and it's fab. I can make calls to other skype users for free through the computer and to land lines and mobiles for just E0.02 cents per minute. (still can't do the euro sign...)

www.skype.com

You need a set of speakers and a microphone or a computer compatible headset, but I think it's going to be great.

Emma.

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@jayne)
Illustrious Member

Hi Emma,

Skype sounds great and I've been meaning to start using it for ages but as usual ... I downloaded it ages ago and every time I turn my computer on, it stares me in the face. :D Where did you get your headset from? What make did you get and how much did it cost approximately? Maybe if you do the leg work for me, I'll get round to using it! It'll feel funny "talking" to my computer though. :?

Re the euro sign, on my keyboard it's AltGr + e but keyboards tend to be different. Someone else mentioned in another thread, AltGr + 3 or 4. If your keyboard is fairly recent, it must be around somewhere. :D

VIP Member
(@sarah)
Eminent Member

Hi Jayne

I've been using Skype for ages now & it is brilliant. I'm still in England but can speak to family in Portugal for free.

We also use SkypeIn and SkypeOut a lot but the quality does vary.

As regards to headsets it varies a lot. I have a £3 which I have used for well over a year & it is fine. We have recently bought one for £12 from Viking which is also great. We did try an expensive wireless one from Skype but the quality was very poor & we had a difficult time getting a refund from them.

Hope that helps.
Sarah

impi
VIP Member
(@impi)
Noble Member

Hi, yes, I have had skype now for a while, it works great for us as my Husband travels a lot, also my youngest is at Uni, and eldest lives in London, so we can all keep in touch for free! Can't be bad!!

VIP Member
(@matthew)
Reputable Member

Yeah OK - question for those of you who are living in Portugal and use Skype ...

How do you find this to work with your broadband connection, both in terms of quality and price?

We use SkypeIn and SkypeOut here in the States over an ADSL connection and it works well. So I'm hoping on ADSL in Portugal the quality would be similar to what you'd get in the UK/US.

But as for costs ... I've only recently looked into getting ADSL setup in Portugal, and thus only recently realized that Portugal is in the Dark Ages when it comes to the internet (uh ... limits on your monthly traffic? ... extra charges for "international" internet traffic? WTF? :? )

So in terms of using Skype from Portugal, say, to speak with someone from the UK ... what has the effect been on your internet costs? Both in terms of its impact on your overall download/upload limit and in terms of your charges for "international" internet traffic?

(I just saw there is one company world.net.pt that is revolutionary in that it doesn't charge extra for "international" internet traffic, but I'm guessing not everyone has this ISP).

Thanks,
Matthew

Page 1 / 4

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online