Skype - Page 2 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Page 2 / 4

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@auntyems)
Estimable Member

Just to let you all know, I uploaded Skype at the weekend and it's fab. I can make calls to other skype users for free through the computer and to land lines and mobiles for just E0.02 cents per minute. (still can't do the euro sign...)

www.skype.com

You need a set of speakers and a microphone or a computer compatible headset, but I think it's going to be great.

Emma.

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@spownall)
Illustrious Member

Skype works very well here, I use it every day.

As far as Broadband, yes it is expensive. I pay 40 euros a month for 2mbs. Although there is a limit on downloads, I've never gone over the limit, and we have 3 computers hooked up to wi-fi, including a teenage boy who loves his MP3's (say no more :? )

VIP Member
(@jayne)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the info, Sarah. :D

VIP Member
(@matthew)
Reputable Member

Skype works very well here, I use it every day.

As far as Broadband, yes it is expensive. I pay 40 euros a month for 2mbs. Although there is a limit on downloads, I've never gone over the limit, and we have 3 computers hooked up to wi-fi, including a teenage boy who loves his MP3's (say no more :? )

Well 40 euros per month is expensive, but not as bad as I had feared.

I'm trying to see whether I could use an internet connection in Portugal for work purposes - basically running a fat email client (like Outlook instead of using webmail), and relying on Skype as my primary voice communications.

With an unlimited broadband connection here since ... oh, 1999 or so, I hadn't considered the bandwidth usage aspect of this plan.

Simon - what about the "international" internet charges - do you get them for using Skype? Or do you use a provider that doesn't discriminate, or do you have a separate limit for international that you still haven't gone over even using Skype?

VIP Member
(@jayne)
Illustrious Member

Matthew - did you see my post on "the other" internet thread http://www.expatsportugal.com/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=712 which included prices? There are three links which give specific details of limits, cost, etc. in Portuguese but that shouldn't be a problem for you, your wife could help out with the translation. I don't think the deals they offer here are too bad, definitely not Dark Ages, maybe check out the links. :D

There's also something on Yahoo about free phone calls which might be worth checking out. :D

Edited for typo.

VIP Member
(@sarah)
Eminent Member

Matthew

Not sure about the quality in Portugal but over here I have tried SkypeOut and the quality varies. We use it internally for work but would only use it in an emergency for clients as it can be poor.

When we come over we will be using the internet extensively as this is our area of business. The no-unlimited downloads is an issue for us and something we are going to have to look into in great detail.

My sister uses World but it doesn't appear to be unlimited - about 12gb.

If someone knows of any good ISPs which don't please let me know!

Thanks
Sarah

PS That Vodafone card mentioned sounds great - think I'll go and look at that.

Page 2 / 4

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online