Spouse Hesitant – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Spouse Hesitant

Page 1 / 3

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hjsportsed)
Eminent Member

Has anyone had to convince a hesitant spouse that moving to Portugal is a good thing in the long run? If so, any advice? Anyone ever left a spouse or moved over solo until the spouse could/would make it over?

33 Replies

Community Member
(@midlifecrisis)
Eminent Member

Have you had an extended stay together yet? Let them live the life in a nice location, show them that they can get anything they need and speak to people hear face to face if possible. My view is that you need to make the decision jointly otherwise the person who "lost" may always be resentful.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@hjsportsed)

Eminent Member

@midlifecrisis No, we have not been there yet. Hoping early 2022.

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)
Estimable Member

Well, I would start with the fact that Portugal is one of the safest countries on earth. Also, lots of sun and some beautiful beaches. Or perhaps river beaches are more of an appeal. And then there is the killer food. 

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

It depends on the reason for the hesitancy. If it's one of the aspects that @Ralf highlights, well start there.   If it's something else, direct your efforts in that direction.  Maybe your spouse just has an uneasy feeling about it, and if that's the case then talk through what the specific underlying concerns are. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@hjsportsed)

Eminent Member

@jeanne I think it probably stems from not wanting to leave her parents behind, which I can understand. I would be leaving my parents behind as well, but I would think they would want us to be happy and not feel like we were being held back.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

Have you discussed the possibility with either set of parents?  You say you 'think' they would want something, but have you actually asked them outright what they would think?  I worked overseas for decades and yes, I missed friends and family, but many of them took advantage of the situation to come for an extended visit.  Some of them came every year. The most difficult situation is when there's a family emergency and you are far away. 

Page 1 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online