Suggestions for places to see for a month-long trip to Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Suggestions for places to see for a month-long trip to Portugal

4 Posts
3 Users
8 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@deras)

Hey wonderful Expats! I plan on taking a month-long trip to Portugal after i get my Bachelor's this june and Covid vaccination. I'm currently looking for a small place for the month and intend to rent a car so i can drive around and check out some of the country's culture and nature.

What are absolitely must-see areas / locations in Central / Northern Portugal?

So far i have:

• Quinta da Regaleira
  • Castelo de Obidos
  • Castle of the Moors
  • UNESCO World Heritage Laurissilva Forest

I've been struggling with finding other impressive places - though i have no doubt there are many - so i was hoping you wonderful people could assist me in this endeavor. What i'm looking for:

• What you recommend family and friends go see.
  • Your favorite places in Lisbon / Around Lisbon.
  • Your favorite places in Porto.
  • Your favorite places in Evora / Santarem.
  • Cool national holidays / festivals / similar culture things.

I realize its a very broad list of options, I just want to get a chance to experience all the best Portugal has to offer once this Covid stuff lessens

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

Hi Deras, when are you going to be here? During the summer there are lots of festas in all towns and villages so try to make it to one or two of them. In Alcobaça we have a classical music festival called Cistermusica from 26th June to 1st August, so if that's your thing, have a look at it.

1 Reply
(@pamalcobaca)

If you like alternative music, there is the A Porta festival in Leiria the first 3 weekends in July

(@anavieira)
Posted by: @deras

Your favorite places in Lisbon / Around Lisbon.

If you can, do the coastal road from Lisbon to Cascais, and if possible all to the end where you will find Cabo da Roca (western point of continental Europe)
Do stop by Carcavelos Beach and enjoy Cascais vibe (my town), with all the surfers easy and relaxed way of life combined with charming and fancy buildings, old and historical palaces, the marina, museums, lighthouses, and a lot of options for seafood and fish restaurants.

Your favorite places in Porto.

For sure do walk a lot on the Ribeira (river side area) on both sides of the river, to feel the city vibe, visit the  worlds most beautiful bookshop - Livraria Lello 
https://www.livrarialello.pt/en-us/livrarialello-institucional  

and if you like wine, enjoy at least an afternoon on Gaia side of the river to visit the World of Wine 
https://wow.pt/

No car needed here for one or two days if you like to walk, Its a great city center to discover walking.

Cool national holidays / festivals / similar culture things

Summer (June to August) its the biggest popular festivities all around Portugal, but this year most of them are still not authorised. Only small celebrations. 

Your favorite places in Evora

If you like history and architecture, do go to Évora and also Elvas, in Alentejo, where you will find wonderful fortresses, castles and aqueducts, all of them with a very important role in the history of Portugal

Hope you enjoy!!

Ana

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal