The Social Dilemma - Netflix - no thanks Facebook – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

The Social Dilemma - Netflix - no thanks Facebook  

Admin
(@astridff)

Who has watched this show on Netflix yet? Scary what data they catch on you and how they use it.

They comment in the documentary that the only 2 industries which call their customers "Users" are drug dealers and social media...

As a stand alone forum offering information to expats about living or moving to Portugal, we often feel social media and groups are our main competitor.

Just wanted to let you ALL know, we do not do anything with your data or information here on Expats Portugal. Your information is safe and we will not use it in any way like shown in this documentary and how social media and search engines work.

Thank you for trusting us and being part of our community. 

4 Replies

Community Member
(@christiaan)

I’m trying to get my whole family to watch it with their kids.

Sam Harris has a great podcast with Tristan Harris following up on this documentary too:
https://samharris.org/podcasts/218-welcome-cult-factory/

Premium Member
(@kate2020)

I have been taking the time to try and limit/block/delete the cookies, but it's nearly impossible. And too late. Even before Covid a huge part of our lives involved on-line searches. Google has years of data on all of us now and there's no way to change that. The fact that I started getting Portuguese spam before I even arrived here says it all.

BTW, I love this country already. It's like being on holiday, even though I'm continuing my usual economics and risk management research. I just look out the window at the beautiful views of the trees, the hills, the valleys and have to pinch myself! Thanks Expats Portugal for being such a great source of information.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Eminent Member

@kate2020
I suggest to everyone to use Firefox for their browser, there is an easy setting to automatically forget all cookies and stored data, every-time you close the browser! So no worrying and manually deleting anything. Just a new browser every day.
Chrome is the worst of course, as Google's business is us, our data!

Premium Member
(@jives)
Eminent Member

This documentary below has a similar message about online and us living in an experiment.

Part of our move to Portugal will be to dub down all the online stuff.

Blevins Franks

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online