Train travel – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Train travel  

Community Member
Topic starter
(@martin)
Noble Member

excellent site for train travel in Europe is

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide... (seat61.com)

and for Portuguese national railways its this one

CP - Comboios de Portugal

6 Replies

Community Member
Topic starter
(@martin)
Noble Member

check out the virtual journey (bit like street view but think railway lines instead)

Virtual Train Journey | CP - Comboios de Portugal

2 Replies
Community Member
(@jeanne)

@martin. I have been looking for a detailed map of the CP  system. All I've been able to find are basic schematic maps, such as on the CP's own website, which only shows the main cities.  The CP site includes an extensive alphabetical list of stations, but how is one to know where these stations actually lie?   I'm researching  property online and one of  my criteria is that it is located in a town with a train connection. Do you know where I can find a map showing ALL the train stations?  Maybe there is an app for that? thx.

Community Member
(@martin)

Noble Member

@jeanne

yes I can see the problem, for example the station for Armacao de pera is actually at Alcantarilha some 8 km away with no direct bus or even taxi rank, Silves station is about 15 mins walk from Silves, whereas Portimao is bang in the centre of the city

perhaps the only solution is to look at google maps for the area you want and actually trace the direction of the tracks via the satellite picture  and their location and then use that as a locator for any property search.

I cannot speak for the rest of Portugal but in the Algarve the network is very sparse

Community Member
Topic starter
(@martin)
Noble Member

does this help...at least it lists the stations but could be out of date as its quite old

Detailed Rail Map of Portugal | A British Expat in Portugal (wordpress.com)

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Yes! The map in British Expat blog is much more what I was looking for.  Thank you 

1 Reply
Community Member
(@martin)

Noble Member

@jeanne

just take care that the stations still are open as the map is old

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online