UK Passport Renewal - Best Option for Post PT => UK ? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

UK Passport Renewal - Best Option for Post PT => UK ?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@rocketracoon)
Trusted Member

Hello All, 

As part of the UK passport renewal process, it is a requirement to post the old one back to the UK.

I wondered if I could call on the collective knowledge of this forum, and ask what the best option for postage is to the UK from Portugal? 

Currently I am looking at DHL express, is there an easier solution? 

Thanks in advance 😀 

Topic Tags
UK
13 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

CTT tracked.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke Thank you old-bloke - useful info.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Yes, CTT Registado Internacional - my things always arrive within a few days without issue.  There is no particular likelihood of another carrier being faster, just more expensive!

10 Replies
Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@thomasandmatthew Hi Thomas, thank you very much.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
3 months ago, we sent ours CTT tracked at the local post office, new passports came back just 2 weeks afterwards with DHL if I remember correctly.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Thank you for the info, very useful.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 I sent this just over a week ago CTT international tracked, and the last update on the tracking was it leaving Lisbon and being sent internationally (which was the day after sending).

When you sent via CTT how long did it take roughly, and were there updates after it was shipped internationally?

Thanks again 🙂

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
I didn't even check the tracking, I thought the whole thing would take a month, but a week after sending I got an email from the UK passport service saying they received our passports (had to send them one by one, they arrived with a day or two difference).
If you sent it a week ago, logically any day now you will the email from the passport service.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@rocketracoon

I did this very recently and it sat at that stage for quite some time. Can't remember exactly how long - maybe 10 days, possibly a little longer.

Yes, it gets updated as soon as there's any movement. You'll be able to see it on both CTT and Royal Mail sites when it's on the move.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@x-camone thanks, there is a different tracking code for Royal Mail?

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@rocketracoon No, it's the same one on their system.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

By the way, don't be alarmed if it looks as though it's back in Portugal at some stage, as happened to mine. It wasn't, as the next update showed.

And there's a couple or more days' delay between the delivery confirmation and the passport office acknowledging receipt in their system.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@x-camone Thanks, it updated all of a sudden + delivery received on the other end 😀

From PT to UK (NI) it took around 10 days. 

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online