US election coverage on ExpatsPortugal.com's Portugal Show, next week – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

US election coverage on ExpatsPortugal.com's Portugal Show, next week  

Admin
(@carlm)
Eminent Member

If President Trump is returned to office, will he attempt to reopen the American-Portuguese air corridor as quickly as possible? Or will rival Joe Biden triumph and take a slower, more restricted approach, further delaying tourism and migration plans?

Join us on Tuesday 3rd and Wednesday 4th, November, - LIVE on Facebook and Youtube - alongside US and Portugal-based members of our community, from both sides of the political divide, as we consider the prognosis for your dreams of a new life in Portugal.

13 Replies

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

Carl, As if we did not have enough reasons to buy Prosecco by the case, you bring up the possibility of another 4 years of dumb donald. Please! I will be listening and watching if only to enjoy your company. As a health care professional(nurse of 33 years) married to a doctor, we shudder every time that man opens his mouth. Next week has just got to bring us better news.

prosecco peggy

9 Replies
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@peggyl Amen, Peggy. My anxiety is thru the roof. It is not hyperbole to state the Democracy is in the balance. And for this guy? Really thought it would be someone more clever.

Admin
(@carlm)

Eminent Member

Sculpe! @peggyl Can we call 'him' the political elephant in the room? What's your guess on the resumption of travel into Portugal for Americans?

Community Member
(@peggyl)

Estimable Member

@carlm

Carl, I think it will be a long time before Americans are allowed back into Europe. So many in the US refuse to follow "recommendations" for masks & social distancing. The scientists predict that up to 100,000 lives could be saved if everyone in America wore a MASK in public. But too many people have no thought for others and think only of their personal comfort. They have MISTAKEN their "freedom" to mean that they have a RIGHT to endanger others. It is a major flaw in the thinking of some Americans. This is one reason that we live here in Portugal. The proliferation of guns, particularly automatic weapons coupled with the increased Selfishness and sometimes lunacy of gun sellers & gun owners is a dangerous combination. Guns make people feel artificially powerful. So those who have a NEED for a gun to make them feel powerful extend that sensation into an artificial feeling of self importance and a reduction in the feeling of community. Without concern for your fellow man/woman/children; people loose their social consciousness.

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I see so many failures in so many US citizens as a cancer that is fueled by the current president and is spreading a "me, me, me" divisiveness that has kneecapped America and keep America from being the Great Country that my father and so many others fought fo in WW ll. 

The take home message is that I do not anticipate US citizens will be allowed to travel outside the country for at least another year to 18 months. I don't anticipate the covid immunization being trusted by a large majority. People now refuse even to get a regular, life-saving flu shot. They will not trust a brand new covid immunization. That coupled with the lack of mask use and continued lack of distancing in large and medium gatherings will doom the US to a slow recovery.

@peggyL (prosecco peggy) raising a glass to all those who help to keep Portugals covid numbers low. 😎 🍷 

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Trusted Member

@peggylWell Peggy as a remaining health care provider here in the US seeing the results of all that you describe and hoping 2022 and my immigration to Portugal cannot come fast enough, you hit the nail on the head! What is transpiring in the US is obscene and honestly I don't know why you all want to cover the election. The count will not be done on election night and tRump will make up some crap to cause the next drama. Truly we are so weary of him. It really gives me a perspective of refugees or oppressed people in others in countries that have fled to the US in decades past, so weary of the garbage. It seems as a result for many you in Portugal are witnessing a reverse migration in my opinion. If he gets elected we are one step closer to fascism in my view. Read the book Fascism by Madeline Albright, you will see the gears in motion for another time in history like that. Sadly there are very intelligent people who are so spineless and motivated by greed and power being complicit in all of these activities. 

Well Peggy you got me going too. Sorry but had to.

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@bert Bert.... I cannot thank you enough. I am suffering and I am not a frontline worker. Please know that many people, including myself, are so grateful for you. I cannot stress that enough. I feel for healthcare workers. I have literally cried thinking about what you have dealt with in the past 8 months. I am a white male, 58 years old. I have marched in 20+ protests in the last four years, none of which benefited me directly. Well, I guess they did as I can't stand injustice and cruelty, so I felt I had to try and do something. I have donated money and supported groups trying to oppose this madness. I am so weary. I am tired. I feel like Portugal is my calling now. I tried. I severed friendships with family and friends in the past few years. Your comment above is justified and I pray we will make it to Portugal.

Admin
(@carlm)

Eminent Member

@bert I understand that on many levels. I see myself as an economic migrant from UK. 
Whilst I hear and relate to your misgivings, this, to me, is a momentous cultural event of global significance - that's why I want to share it and create a platform for respectful discussion...

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Trusted Member

@carlmGood Morning Carl. Yes, I agree this election has enormous implications for the world. And sadly these past 4 years the US has turned its back to many previous friends. It is an embarrassment for me to witness as a US citizen. Thankfully there is an 8 hour time difference between the US and Portugal so I will be able to listen to comments from others perspetives. In the meantime, trying to stay safe in my trench in the US. 🍷 🍷

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Eminent Member

@peggyl I feel what I was taught in grade school about Democracy was a lie. I guess I was naïve, or clinging to hope that it mattered to a vast majority in the USA but alas, it doesn't. A simple health issue has been politicized. Wearing a seatbelt saves lives and people wear them with no complaints. Yet God Forbid you ask them to wear a mask. I have asthma and I wear one and it causes me zero grief. I feel so out of touch with my country. The President is a troll with not a redeeming trait that I admire. I am so disappointed. I will never be able to fully wrap my head around what has happened here.

Admin
(@carlm)

Eminent Member

@peggyl that long?! Wow, interminable for many )-:

Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

You're a brave, man, Carl. Boa sorte!

2 Replies
Admin
(@carlm)

Eminent Member

@awarrenlove you're scaring me now

Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

@carlm Having seen very closely all the hatred the last four years have caused, this election is really going to be the tipping point for a lot of people. I honestly can't see this going peacefully, no matter who wins. Also considering the hatred against the messengers specifically, this is a time where being part of the media as you are takes a lot of bravery, even if you attempt to keep things civil, impersonal, and unbiased.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online