Washington DC Embassy requirements – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Washington DC Embassy requirements

KLC
Community Member
Topic starter
(@klc)
Trusted Member

Bom dia,

My partner is gathering his paperwork for his application for a D7 visa. Has anyone had experience with this Embassy? Do you know the requirements for this embassy in regards to Rental Agreement(would an air bnb for 4 months be acceptable), Health Insurance, etc..

Thank you so much in advance. I appreciate any insight.

Have a lovely day.

Karen

4 Replies

Community Member
(@awarrenlove)
Eminent Member

My wife and I were recently approved through DC, finally flying over this weekend. I doubt an Airbnb would suffice, as they generally aren't considering such a loose reservation as an actual place to live, at least not recently.

Although to be honest the group isn't very welcoming socially (constant commands to simply read the files or search existing posts when people ask questions), I suggest you look up the group Americans and Friends PT on Facebook. Their files section is immensely educational, and they have checklists that are kept pretty well up to date as new people apply and either get approved or get denied for different reasons. They will have a checklist of requirements for the D7 that you can refer to.

3 Replies
 KLC
Community Member
(@klc)

Trusted Member

@awarrenlove

hi congratulations!! That’s great you fly over this weekend? May I ask you a few questions???

where you rented from and the length of your lease? We decided to rent from a property management company for 4 months they are writing us a declaration that we will be staying there. I also have a letter of declaration from a realtor to assist us once we get there. 

how long the D7 process took once you applied?

Would you say your appointment in DC went smoothly. Any advise 

thank you so much for your assistance. I am elated for you!!

what part of Portugal are you looking to live? 

Community Member
(@awarrenlove)

Eminent Member

@klc We signed a lease for 6 months in an apartment in Porto. I can't say we couldn't have gotten away with 4 months, but we went with 6. It's an apartment that has been run as an Airbnb, but we leased it separately from that platform. The main requirement is to ensure you're serious of actually living there, so I'm sure the additional letter from a realtor you'll work with to find a long term place once arriving will help.

We were approved 14 days after our applications were forwarded to the Embassy, 15 days after VFS received them originally. Because we're in NC our application was completely by mail, so it was a very easy process.

We worked with Gail Aguiar with relocatetoportugal.com to put together our applications, and she was immensely helpful in being sure we had everything put together correctly.

I'm not sure where we'll end up long term. We've heard too many great things about too many cities, but at least for a while we'll probably stay in Porto while we travel around the country seeing other places.

KLC
Community Member
(@klc)

Trusted Member

@awarrenlove

we will see if he has enough documentation fingers crossed. 
he had an immigration lawyer and is following their guidelines. They are really thorough they get back with answers to question really fast in Portuguese timelines!! 

14 days that’s quick !! You didn’t have to go to DC that’s also amazing. I wonder if he will need to go in person. Either way we are prepared 

Porto is such a great place! (To visit) we visited in 2019! I agree we don’t know where we will eventually settle.., it’ll be an adventure to look around 

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online