What are your impressions of Portuguese customer service? – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

What are your impressions of Portuguese customer service?  

Premium Member
(@thr238)

Hi there

I’d like to know people’s thoughts here on customer service in Portugal, namely Portuguese customer service whether in shops or dealing with businesses (not customer services from non-Portuguese such as expats).

So far in my dealings: complete lack of empathy, indifference to customer needs, and lack of customer interest. Also, a shortsightedness in terms of what the customer needs or expects.

What’s your view? And if it’s negative, any tips for getting around it?

Thanks.

2 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

The biggest thing that I noticed when I arrived in Portugal is how slow things happen...

I started a small business and had to continuously chase up a textile manufacturing quote I had requested - it was like they did not want my business. After 3 months of waiting for my quote and asking where it was I got fed up and finally responded to a company in Peru who wanted to quote me. Within 24 hours I had my price.

Then when I told the Portuguese company I wasn't going to wait any longer, they changed and desperately wanted me to reconsider. I told them where to go 🙂

However, on dealings with a completely different company for textile manufacturing, I found them to be efficient, reliable and courteous. So perhaps it comes down to the individual.

Another funny story is a couple of weeks ago I went into the SEF office to ask for some information. The place was completely empty except for the 4 ladies behind the counter.

I asked if any of them spoke English and no one did (a bit odd for an office for foreigners). So in my best Portuguese, I asked for the information I was after. They told me they could not answer my questions and that I had to go to the website or call one of the two phone numbers they gave me.

I go to the site and the information I needed wasn't there, so I called the phone numbers only to get an answering machine telling me to go to the website!

Anyhow, not too sure why there were 4 people working if they weren't there to serve customers and answer questions. It is just the way it is in Portugal.

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

I think this is a very interesting subject. I can fully appreciate your comments @thr238 and I have often thought there is a business opportunity to provide Customer Service training in Portugal. I can think of many times where shops and businesses have lost my patronage, simply because of a lack of attention on their part. Another thing that infuriates me is the lack of follow up from businesses for example when something goes wrong or they can't turn up at the agreed time and they don't bother to tell you. And don't get me going on the queues to pay at Leroy Merlin that can snake halfway through the store. Why don't the spot people like me who will leave the trolley and walk out when they could open a few more tills.

On the other hand, I am frequently surprised by people who will go out of their way to help. Just recently I went into a shop in Tomar looking for a certain type of razor. The elderly woman could not help but she took me by the arm, led me to the street corner and pointed to a shop that did have what I wanted. I also love using a petrol station where the attendant serves you and I deliberately go to one of these when I have overseas friends visiting just to see their expressions of amazement. I know a local builder and his trademark is to always do something extra at no cost. And then there is my tyre guy who is very competitive and checks my tyre pressures for free anytime I am passing. I could go on.......

So good and bad in my view although can't help thinking about that training course 😀  

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online