Why I like living in Portugal – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

[Sticky] Why I like living in Portugal  

Page 1 / 4

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

31 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @gerry

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

Hi Gerry,

Yes, we have had the same treatment 😊

We have been here for 4 years now. When we needed tyres for our British registered car the online advice was to buy online.

A guy in our village works at a service centre in our nearest large town (Covipneus, Fundão) and he suggested going there. So, we thought, why not? We want to be Portuguese so yes, we'll do that. Shop local, support the local economy, and all that.

Well, they have been fantastic. Now that we have a Portuguese 4x4 we have all of our servicing, repairs, new tyres, pre-mot (IPO) done with them. The attention to detail is amazing, the aftercare is amazing, the cost is sensible. Sometimes it's ridiculously cheap!

Our last pre-inspection involved the normal testing of brakes, exhaust, etc, and two new bulbs. Because of Covid they are short staffed. We said ok and left our wagon there for three days. They rang us to say that we could collect it. The cost was €15.

As we have found with everything in Portugal, people have a job. They are proud of that job. They do that job to the best of their ability. (Look at the conductors on the trains! Smart uniform, very proud of their employment)

The UK used to be like that 😳  Not any more 😠

Community Member
(@cowboy)

Took my chainsaw to have the blade sharpened. Total cost 3 Euros 😀 

Admin
(@astridff)

Walking down the street and strangers who you don't know say hello/good morning or good afternoon. Friendly people

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

@astridff This is what I seek.

Premium Member
(@louiejack)

Family run, non-chain restaurants offering 3 course lunchtime specials including wine and coffee for 7 or 8 Euros all in. 😋  

Premium Member
(@alyson)

A similar tyre story - we had just had four new tyres fitted from one of the big tyre shops (you can't have one or three in Portugal I have decided .. they have to match (back 2 and front 2) and every time you need a new one you end up buying two!) ... a week later we had a nail in a front tyre, our local neighbour said "come with me" and we followed him up to the local tyre shop in the village. Ten minutes later, tyre fixed at a total cost of 7 euros. 🙂

Page 1 / 4

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online