Why I like living in Portugal - Page 4 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

[Sticky] Why I like living in Portugal

Page 4 / 6

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

70 Replies
1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @gerry

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

Hi Gerry,

Yes, we have had the same treatment 😊

We have been here for 4 years now. When we needed tyres for our British registered car the online advice was to buy online.

A guy in our village works at a service centre in our nearest large town (Covipneus, Fundão) and he suggested going there. So, we thought, why not? We want to be Portuguese so yes, we'll do that. Shop local, support the local economy, and all that.

Well, they have been fantastic. Now that we have a Portuguese 4x4 we have all of our servicing, repairs, new tyres, pre-mot (IPO) done with them. The attention to detail is amazing, the aftercare is amazing, the cost is sensible. Sometimes it's ridiculously cheap!

Our last pre-inspection involved the normal testing of brakes, exhaust, etc, and two new bulbs. Because of Covid they are short staffed. We said ok and left our wagon there for three days. They rang us to say that we could collect it. The cost was €15.

As we have found with everything in Portugal, people have a job. They are proud of that job. They do that job to the best of their ability. (Look at the conductors on the trains! Smart uniform, very proud of their employment)

The UK used to be like that 😳  Not any more 😠

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello All.

Just a reminder that we would love to hear why you like living in Portugal. I noticed a recent survey in the press about what some expats didn't like about Portugal. This was not from our community of course.

It would be great to receive all your views and we can issue a positive survey from all at expatsportugal.com.

Many thanks

Gerry

Anonymous

Elaine,

We lived in Northern Kentucky in the United States for the last 25 years. I was born in Virginia and hubby was born in Florida. Fondly referred to as "the colonies".

I am not fluent in Portuguese but I keep trying and keep practicing. I am pretty good with languages but it takes more time and energy when you get old like me. I try to always learn new words and phrases. I think I must have the dialect down pretty good because when I try to speak Portuguese, people speak it back to me at warp speed and I usually catch every third word. Slowly but surely I keep telling myself. Just make sure you are learning European Portuguese and not Brazillian Portuguese, there is a difference.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

@chocolate

Been following this thread and thought I'd add a few observations. But first of all we don't live in PT. We have visited for 30 years or so and have owned an apartment in Algarve for more than ten years. Based on our experience...

Many folk comment on the bureaucracy in Pt. We have fallen foul of it on more than one occcasion with utilities and banks. From our perspective it has nearly always been because we haven't read (or received) a communication. At first I tried to speak to officials in English - it just didn't wash and why should it? Now I am more confident with my portuguese (certainly not fluent) we get a much better reception and help! Our perspective is that there is a lot more paperwork in the banks than in the UK and it takes more time.

Costs - electricity and gas more expensive than the UK and no real market. Petrol cheaper in Spain.

Driving - it is different! But having driven in Ghana and Italy it is a breeze! You need to keep your eyes open but that helps wherever you are 🤣 🤣 🤣.

Dogs - to be honest can be intimidating (sorry, but I am not a dog lover) when you are out walking in the country. Usually they are chained or behind a fence. We have learnt to be confident and just keep walking.
We don't find CTT that reliable but probably haven't enough experience to comment.

We love so many aspects of time spent in Portugal. Overall the benefit to our lives, the culture and joy of visiting (frequently) far outway any negatives. We haven't relocated for family reasons. My constant advice is try to get to grips with the language - it is not easy but it is worth doing.

Hope this helps you.

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@cabanastavira

Thank you for your take on things. Appreciate that. We really wish we were in a position to do both Portugal and UK for periods of time but unfortunately if we want to buy in PT we have to sell up here. Oh to win the lottery 😂

I think our best option really is to go for a period of time before selling up at home and see how we get on. If we are going to be bothered by certain things I reckon they’d surface pretty quickly anyway. However I know that being in such a lovely country with the lovely weather will probably make anything seem less scary 😊

Sai
Community Member
(@sai)

Hi All, this is so good to hear nice things of the Portuguese people. I will be moving over to Portugal before the end of this year 2020 from UK with my husband. I have not travelled to Portugal as much as I had hoped to, but with these bad times, it has made me re-asses the important things in life. I have been to Vilamoura, Quarteira and Tavira. I am looking for a lively village with a few good bars and restaurants with a good community feel. Anyone got any suggestions? 😊 

Community Member
(@rishisharma99)

becouse everywhere is full of love ,fun , support arrounding.

love to be say i love portugal, soon to come back after lockdown 😊 

Page 4 / 6

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online