Why I like living in Portugal - Page 6 – General Chit Chat & Conversations – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

[Sticky] Why I like living in Portugal

Page 6 / 6

Admin UserGroup
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

71 Replies
2 Replies
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @gerry

Before the lock down, my car needed new tyres. The advice I received was to buy the tyres online and have a local company fit them. Instead I went to my local company (family business) and they quoted the same price for the same tyres as I could get online but their price included fitting. Deal struck, tyres ordered and fitted the next day. Then I was told to stop by anytime and they will check the pressures and adjust for free as part of the service. I appreciate this is a smart way to keep my custom but they have my business and my recommendation for as long as I'm around.

It would be great to hear other experiences of good value and service in Portugal.   

Hi Gerry,

Yes, we have had the same treatment 😊

We have been here for 4 years now. When we needed tyres for our British registered car the online advice was to buy online.

A guy in our village works at a service centre in our nearest large town (Covipneus, Fundão) and he suggested going there. So, we thought, why not? We want to be Portuguese so yes, we'll do that. Shop local, support the local economy, and all that.

Well, they have been fantastic. Now that we have a Portuguese 4x4 we have all of our servicing, repairs, new tyres, pre-mot (IPO) done with them. The attention to detail is amazing, the aftercare is amazing, the cost is sensible. Sometimes it's ridiculously cheap!

Our last pre-inspection involved the normal testing of brakes, exhaust, etc, and two new bulbs. Because of Covid they are short staffed. We said ok and left our wagon there for three days. They rang us to say that we could collect it. The cost was €15.

As we have found with everything in Portugal, people have a job. They are proud of that job. They do that job to the best of their ability. (Look at the conductors on the trains! Smart uniform, very proud of their employment)

The UK used to be like that 😳  Not any more 😠

pita
Community Member
(@pita)

@christopherdouglas 

I took ours to our local tyre centre, had 2 tyres fitted and the car came back cleaned as well. In the uk they cannot even be bothered to clean the wheel

Admin UserGroup
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Met this amazing creature in Pombal this week 😎 

4 Replies
Community Member
(@brennan)

@gerry What is that? I am not informed.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@brennan A grasshopper, probably.

Admin UserGroup
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@antonio_f Yes that would be my guess also 😊

Premium Member
(@jeanmori7)

Trusted Member

@gerry We have them in Canada but much smaller 🙂  Canadian winters slows their growth down 🙂

Community Member
(@gibraltarwave)

Hi all,

www.GibraltarWaveFC.com will be taking part in what effectively is UEFA Beach Soccer Champions League in Nazarè in June 2022.

I`d like to invite all members here to come and watch us and 🌊 #LIkeFollowShare  https://www.linkedin.com/company/gibraltar-wave/  . Thanks 🌊

Please feel free to get in touch, especially those in and around Nazarè.

Community Member
(@tr158)

I don't live in Portugal (currently in the UK, but intend upon retiring to Portugal in a few years)

Although I was born in the UK, my family are Portuguese (originally from the 'North' and settled in Cascais) and so naturally I visit every opportunity I get, and I tend to spend on average a month at a time.

Although not a true comparison with actually living there, it does give me time to settle into the Portuguese way of life, and having a family home there helps with continuity, and having a base from which to explore the country further. I have also been exposed to the Portuguese systems, and associated bureaucracy, when assisting my parents with their affairs whilst visiting. So whilst not actually 'living' there, I do have a good feel for the country, and its quirks.

Bureaucracy aside, I find that I just naturally fall into step. Driving on the right hand side for example, just feels normal. I also find that I am immediately at ease from the moment my feet touch Portuguese soil. I am less anxious about everyday life, I look at my mobile devices, and social media much less often. And I am never bored despite the numerous mountain drives, visits to Cafe Preto for a Queijadinha, or a Pastel de Nata and coffee (I could that every day!) along with the numerous coastal drives, walks, bike rides, lounging on the beach etc It just feels normal, and right. Of course there are the daily/weekly grocery runs to do, but again, whereas I detest visiting my local supermarket in the UK, I actually don't mind shopping in Portugal!

Life at home in the UK isn't bad by any stretch, but I do constantly find myself looking for things to entertain, and distract myself. I find myself on my mobile devices and social media more often, I spend more money on a day, or evening out, and I never really feel 'fulfilled'. Portugal however, despite it's more laid back approach to literally everything, and less well developed systems just doesn't seem to phase me. If we had same the level of bureaucracy, and matter of fact attitude in the UK, as we do in Portugal, I would be making the move much sooner!

Portugal has my heart, and all being well, I hope to make Cascais my home in the not too distant future 😊 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@tr158 
Cascais is nice but very expensive to buy a house, unless you are living in London, it could a shock 🙂

Page 6 / 6

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online