The beer situation in Portugal – Going Out – Expats Portugal Community Forum
The beer situation ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

The beer situation in Portugal

Page 1 / 2

Topic starter
(@aclinemissouristate-edu)

When my wife and I visited Portugal a few years ago, we mostly drank wine with our meals and on evenings out. I'm sure we had some beer, but I'm not remembering it.

I'm first a beer drinker. What I know about wine: squat. The only times I know I've had good wine are times when people I was drinking with said something like: "This is really good wine." 😀 

I do, however, know good beer. I'm a beer snob -- not in the make-life-miserable-for-my-companions way; more in the legend-in-my-own-mind way.

So, if anyone here is game, I'd like to get a conversation going about beer in Portugal. I understand there are several major production breweries and, according to Wikipedia, "around one hundred small breweries in the country, dedicated to the production of craft beer."

Along with a general discussion of beer would be a general discussion of places to drink it. Having spent much time in the U.K. doing various of the long-distance walks (aka. country pub crawls), I'm familiar with, and a fan of, that kind of establishment. I hope the number of British expats in Portugal is an indication that some good folks have translated the British pub to Portugal.

But I also want to know what the Portuguese think a proper pub or bar or road house or whatever is. The beer snob in me yearns to expand his horizons.

Happy New Year everyone! Lola and I are very glad to be here 😀 

20 Replies

Admin
(@carlm)
Reputable Member

I will, if I may, make this a discussion point on Monday's show, first of the year!

2 Replies

@carlm Will that be Good Morning Portugal?

Community Member
(@derrymore)

@carlm

Hi Carl. The Irish government in their infinite wisdom, have introduced unit pricing for alcohol. It means that beer, wine and spirits - already 3rd most expensive in Europe  - get even more expensive. 500ml of beer is now €3 minimum, cheapest wine €8, vodka/gin €24 minimum and whiskey/brandy €28 minimum. 

This increase is to raise revenue, but is being sold to stop young people over-indulging.  There is a lot of anger because the government didn't consider making maximum quantity purchases  - ie 2 bottles of wine per person per day, or whatever is the norm. 

You're not allowed buy more than one pack of paracetamol at a time, so the technology is there.

Already there is a guy with a minibus offering trips to Northern Ireland where it is still the old price.  

Patrick Cavanagh Derrymore 

Premium Member
(@ericj)
Estimable Member

Did someone say Beer??  I currently live in North Carolina where we have 350+ Breweries in the State.  I am certainly regarded as a fully fledged beer snob 🤣 

My Wife and I visited Portugal earlier this year and found beer options to be somewhat limited.  Sagres and Super Bock are the big brands there and people seem to fall on one side or the other.  Microbreweries were few and far between.

While we were in Lisbon, we did visit one place that I would consider to be a proper Pub but unfortunately can't remember the name right now.  Decent beer selection while showing Premier League on a big screen.

We are hopefully heading back in May, so I'll report back any additional findings....  

3 Replies

@ericj Lola and I will be in Portugal the end of May and early June. Perhaps we'll be able to meet up for a little local research 😉

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Estimable Member

@aclinemissouristate-edu 

Andrew, in case you haven't seen, here's a list of the portuguese breweries (in portuguese), by region: https://www.cervejeirosdeportugal.pt/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Guia_CERVEJEIROS_EM_PORTUGAL.pdf

@antonio_f Thanks! This is what I call real motivation to learn Portuguese 🙂

Topic starter

Just watched the Good Morning Portugal show and enjoyed the discussion about beer 🙂 Thanks for the IPA and Stout suggestions!!!  Watching live is a bit difficult because I'm in the middle of North America six hours behind. 

I'm looking forward to more discussion here.

BTW, the .pdf that Antonio posted is excellent. And, yes, it does indeed provide me even more motivation learning Portuguese.

Since the start of the pandemic, I've mostly been doing my pub drinking outdoors. I happen to live in a loft in downtown Springfield in the brewery district 🙂 There are three within a 5-minute walk. Two have outdoor seating. One has a nearly 2-acre yard.

One of the people commenting on the show this morning mentioned that finding craft beer in the markets was difficult in Portugal but that there are craft pubs. Other thoughts on this situation?

Thanks!

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@ericj)

Estimable Member

@aclinemissouristate-edu I watched the GMP Show today as well.  Hope the subject of Beer/Pubs continues to gain traction as time goes on....Thanks @carlm 🍻

Admin
(@carlm)

Reputable Member

Feliz Ano Novo @ericj 🤗

Admin
(@carlm)

Reputable Member

@aclinemissouristate-edu I hope we helped this morning

And call me so I can buy you one! 913 590 303

Admin
(@carlm)
Reputable Member

Special guest and 'expert' joins us tomorrow...

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online