Driving from Santander – Good Morning Portugal - Open Discussion – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Driving from Santan...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Driving from Santander  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

(@wayneb)
Eminent Member Premium Member
09/09/2020 11:48 am  

We have booked our ferry and if all things go well we should be coming over early October.

Has anyone got some good advice on places to stop and get fuel in Spain etc?
We are planning coming down to Vilar Formoso through Palencia following the sat nav. But happy to make small detours etc.

(@goodmorningportugal)
Trusted Member Premium Member
09/09/2020 12:03 pm  

Hi Wayne

We stayed one night in Spain, here - https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/el-roble.en-gb.html?aid=347349;label=msn-t7WuiVu58kQPUwE9O%2ATfIQ-80676740313211%3Atikwd-17290208202%3Aloc-152%3Aneo%3Amte%3Adec%3Aqscervera%20de%20pisuerga;sid=3e878e6274531d1a9db4959f153cb1cc

Nice town.

No idea on petrol, was just glad to get some and enjoy a great service station on our way to Geres, which was wonderful for our first night in PT (-:

wayneski liked
ReplyQuote
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member VIP Member
09/09/2020 4:09 pm  

fill up in Spain, anywhere but give yourself enough fuel for 25 miles from Santander...fill up far cheaper than UK

then fill again just before the Portugal border...again far cheaper there than in portugal

Salamanca is a great place for a break if you need one other than fuel stop

you can eat and easilly spend 3 hours wandering. but that would mean an overnight stop somewhere??you dont say how far you going!!

ReplyQuote
(@wayneb)
09/09/2020 11:38 pm  

Thanks, I was looking at Salamanca on Google Maps. I was wondering if the services were like in the UK, some great, some not so great! Looking for some nice stops to stretch out and chill for a while, and enjoy a break for an hour or so. We are driving to Porto de Mos near Leiria.

ReplyQuote
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member VIP Member
10/09/2020 7:55 am  

@wayneb

well I havent been to them all but imo the ones I stopped at were all clean and OK for a wander about leg stretch!

I go down to Caldas de Rainha and do it in a day..around 8 hours..but I only stop for 'nature' and grab a coffee and ice cream for energy

so if you looking for longer stops or better food supplies I cannot help...sorry.....except

definitely Salamanca for an extended stop if you taking your time

ReplyQuote
(@wosiebeegs)
Eminent Member Community Member
10/09/2020 2:18 pm  

Hi @wayneb we're also driving down, from Bilbao rather than Santander, in early October 🙂 We'll probably drive to Guarda and stop for a night before carrying on to our new home in Setil.

Hope the drive and move goes well.

ReplyQuote
(@traceyjmo65)
Active Member Community Member
17/09/2020 3:04 pm  

Hi

My husband and I are travelling from Santander early Oct to Ponte da Lima. We have booked an overnight stay the day we arrive in Spain and plan to have a leg stretch around Santiago on our leisurely way down. Seems there's lots of us hoping to make a new life in Portugal 😄

Best of luck to all for a happy future.

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
Trusted Member Community Member
17/09/2020 6:15 pm  

Have a safe trip!

@peggy

ReplyQuote
(@traceyjmo65)
17/09/2020 7:37 pm  

@peggyl thank you ☺, how lovely to hear from you.

I can't believe that we're so close now to starting our new life! We leave our current home in one week to go spend a few days with family before our ferry trip to Santander and ultimately Portugal. 

I hope you have kept well and happy ☺

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
Trusted Member Community Member
17/09/2020 10:40 pm  

This is the best place to live, I wake up and say to myself, I have woken up in Heaven.

Peggy

ReplyQuote
(@traceyjmo65)
18/09/2020 7:30 am  

@peggyl that's very reassuring to hear! ☺

ReplyQuote
(@itexpert7)
Active Member Premium Member
18/09/2020 3:05 pm  

Hi, we're thinking of doing the same (October 9th), but various naysayers have scared us about possibly closed borders, Corona this and that!
Will there be no difficulties?
I assume like us, you will be driving to your home in Portugal. Will you take any special papers?

ReplyQuote
(@wayneb)
18/09/2020 11:20 pm  

Hi, we are hoping to be able to drive into Portugal as we will be doing it in one go from Santander. We are also going to be travelling to our permanent home not a holiday, so if the border is closed we will be stranded in a country where it’s easier to be infected. They must be letting food and goods through?

Hoping we will be ok. Just hoping they don’t panic and stop the ferries!

ReplyQuote
(@traceyjmo65)
19/09/2020 8:11 am  

@wayneb same here. Keeping close eye on ferry site and trusting that as we have sold and packed up our home in UK and relocating to Portugal permanently our trip will be deemed essential. Just hope the ferries don't require Covid test results as impossible to get a test at the moment especially as we are well!

ReplyQuote
(@wosiebeegs)
Eminent Member Community Member
19/09/2020 8:31 am  

Plan A for us is to get the ferry on 2 October, drive to our new home, fly back on 13 October, self-isolate for two weeks 🤨, then get the house packed up into the lorry and on its way over, before we fly back to Portugal permanently with the cats at the end of October.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Plan A will still be doable - not too sure what Plan B is! Still, I've no control over that so trying not to stress about it, got too much going on in my head as it is 😊 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Blevins Franks Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online