Cataract Surgery – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Cataract Surgery  

RSS

(@nigelmarian)
Eminent Member VIP Member
28/05/2020 11:39 am  

Was wondering if anyone has had Cataract Surgery with or without Prescription Lens replacement here in Portugal.

Thanks

alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
28/05/2020 3:09 pm  

Yes, my wife has.

She was worried before the operation, but when the bandages were removed and found that for the first time in her life she no longer needed glasses, she could not wait for the second eye to be done.

The implanted lenses include astigmatism correction.

All done with the state health system.

ReplyQuote
(@nigelmarian)
28/05/2020 6:04 pm  

@alan

Hope you dont mind me asking but what is your status here in Portugal. We have the 5 year Residencia but I thought that we would still have to pay if I wanted eye surgery. Because we are not yet UK state pension age we do not have a S1 so not in the Portuguese health system. If you prefer to email details please let me know.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member VIP Member
28/05/2020 6:52 pm  

If you are officially resident here, you are entitled to the full healthcare service.

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
28/05/2020 8:09 pm  

@nigelmarian See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal#healthcare.

We are retired and have S1. If one of you receives state pension, then the other is counted as a dependant and also has S1 status.

ReplyQuote
(@nigelmarian)
29/05/2020 11:24 am  

@hartmill

As stated in the first post, we have our 5 year temporary residencia but neither of us are UK Pension age so we do not have S1

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
29/05/2020 11:34 am  

Please read the link from the UK Giv that I posted. In particular thus bit, :-

Healthcare

You should ensure you are properly registered for healthcare as a resident in Portugal. Private health insurance is available but is not mandatory and should not be a substitute for registering for state healthcare.

Once you are registered as a resident in Portugal, you are entitled to state healthcare. You need to register at your local health centre (centro de saúde) and get a user ID number (health number) by showing your residence certificate and your passport.

Read our guidance on how you can register for healthcare in Portugal and how the healthcare system works.

ReplyQuote
(@hartmill)
29/05/2020 11:34 am  

I may be wrong but, but I don´t think your age or the S1 make any difference. If you live here you are entitled. See this to obtain NHS Card https://www.acm.gov.pt/-/o-que-e-o-numero-de-utente-do-sns-e-como-obte-lo-

ReplyQuote
(@nigelmarian)
30/05/2020 10:35 am  

@hartmill

Thank you, I will investigate further.

ReplyQuote
(@nigelmarian)
30/05/2020 10:36 am  

@alan

Thanks Alan

ReplyQuote
(@hartmill)
30/05/2020 10:39 am  

It should be pointed out that in some areas of the country, people have found it difficult to register at their health centre. However you are entitled!

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
30/05/2020 11:19 am  

The difference is that with the S1 it ends up being paid under a bilateral pensioners agreement.

If you have problems with your health centre refusing to register you, thne go to the ACM sute. They have the instructions in English and Portuguese. Their local CLAIM (usually in the town hall /camara) office will also assist.

ReplyQuote
(@nigelmarian)
30/05/2020 11:46 am  

@alan

thanks again, all very useful.

ReplyQuote

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online