Covid Test on SNS Experience? – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Covid Test on SNS Experience?  

bife
VIP Member
(@bife)
Estimable Member

Hi,

Really nice to see the forum is charging along again, I'll have to be more attentive 🙂

I have searched but found no post exactly addressing my question

Has anyone done the Covid test through the SNS (PT NHS)?

I know there site says phone this number, but then what happens?

Do you get an appointment, waiting times etc etc

I have permanent residency, and have been paying into the system here for 20 years.

I live South of the River, near Costa da Caprica, but am still registered in a central Lisbon Centro de Saude (not my failing - I was advised by the centre when moving to stay registered there as I would never get a Family Doctor again if I changed)

I am trying to avoid paying at CUF (I pay so much of my wages to The State but seem to not benefit at all from it)

The test is actually for my 10 year old Portuguese Daughter, who has a fever

Cheers

Leigh

2 Replies

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

Try contacting the HPA by their email ............callcenter@grupohpa.com   They can probably best answer your question.

@peggyL

bife
VIP Member
(@bife)
Estimable Member

Thanks Peggy,

I was trying to avoid using my health insurance as I am a bit fed up of always paying twice.

Anyway, I can now answer my own question, so as to leave the info for anyone else:

We called SNS 24 on 808 24 24 24 (the 'NHS' number for health worries)

(This is the SNS 24 site if your Portuguese is ok, don't know if there is an English version)

There is an option for English (#9) but we did this in Portuguese, but it should be the same)

Then they asked a series of yes/no questions about the symptoms

Because my daughter had had a fever, she had to do the test

They gave us the contacts of two private clinics, one local this south side of the river (Tejo) and one in Lisbon for us to make a booking for a test

It was Saturday and Both didn't take bookings on the weekend (recorded message told us that)

We called first thing Monday Morning - the local one had a test on the Friday, the one in Lisbon had one already that day at Midday, so we booked the latter

Teresa took our daughter to Lisbon for the test - she said it was very professional and friendly, and no wait.

They said the results would be sent to us by the end of today (Tuesday).

But we already got the result by email at 7 am today (Tuesday).

Negative 🙂

Phew!

Anyway, I often moan about how hard it is to get anything done in Portugal, but this was a great, friendly, efficient and very fast service.

And we didnt have to fork out for the test after already donating so much of our wages to The State.

Win win 🙂

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online