Covid Vaccination for New Arrivals – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Covid Vaccination for New Arrivals

Ncw
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@ncw)
Eminent Member

We are Americans over the age of 65 who entered Portugal on 31Dec2020. Our SEF meeting is 23 March. We assume after that meeting we can get enrolled in the health system. (We will also have private insurance, but assume all vaccinations will be through the NHS.) We are hoping that we will then be included in the over 65 group that is expected to begin in April. Is this right or should we have concerns?  Thanks!

8 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

Hi, welcome to Portugal! You are correct - once you are registered and have a utente number with the SNS, your centro de saúde will contact you by SMS with an appointment for your vaccine. If you have a private doctor at the moment, I would raise it with them in case it takes some time to register with your centro de saúde.

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)
Eminent Member

Could I kindly ask how did you both enter Portugal, on a Residence D7 Visa?

We are fellow Americans in Boston and had our meeting with the Portuguese Consulate in Boston to submit our Residence visa applications in Jan cancelled as they told us they are  suspended issuance of visas till further notice.

Thanks!

4 Replies
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

@pinehouse Sorry I can't help - I came from the UK when it was in the EU!

Ncw
Premium Member
(@ncw)

Eminent Member

@pinehouse We made our D7 application in November and entered Portugal on 31 Dec. I must admit we were worried about the situation you find yourself in and we were worried our flight might be cancelled at the last minute. I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. I am chronicling our journey starting with our D7 application at expatinportugal.substack.com

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)

Eminent Member

@ncw

I can't tell you how much I like your travelog and experience on substack. You are a great writer and purveyor of real life information!  So delighted you have arrived in Portugal, you are brave warriors to travel during such times. We bought our house remotely during covid, now we are battling to get there. The Boston Consulate is deluged by requests of all kinds from the huge Portuguese community in our area and they have also  suspended issuance of visas. We unfortunately are not allowed to go through the DC office because of where we live! 😣 

Ncw
Premium Member
(@ncw)

Eminent Member

@pinehouse I am so sorry.

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)
Eminent Member

Sorry Pam, I meant the question for NCW!

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

So sorry about all the travel troubles. Have you had your vaccine? I think you would feel safest traveling after you get your vaccine but I am not aware that the vaccine is currently a requirement for entry into Portugal.

If you own property here, You can travel on your passports as tourists. It used to be possible to apply for residency here having only come as a tourist BUT I am unsure if that is still the case. You still must have all of the required documents from the USA with you. You can check at the SEF.pt site for now and see if there is information there about travel to Pt. with just your passport but also as a land owner. I know that you will be required to have a negative COVID test at the time of bonding the plane and it must still be valid when you arrive. 

I will try to investigate the following questions and I suggest you do also. Whichever one gets the answer first has to buy the other a glass of vino. 😀 

1. Can you enter with passport & negative Covid test as a landowner?               2. Can you apply for residency here with just your passport and all required papers (list is on US portuguese embassy site)                                                3. how long can  you stay on just a passport entry, are they allowing the "extension" of tourist passport stay at this time.

This might be an option for you because of the situation in the USA and consulates being closed.

@peggyL

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online