Covid vaccine – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Covid vaccine

Page 1 / 3

Community Member
Topic starter
(@beryl)
Eminent Member

When are we getting the vaccine.  Why is it taking so long when many other countries have it?

How can I obtain the answers to my questions?

22 Replies

2 Replies
Community Member
(@beryl)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke

thank you for your reply but it is 24 January and no sign of a vaccine.  When it DOES appear will it be free for expats and how do expats obtain it.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@beryl

According to the vaccination plan, which may change due to the evolution of scientific knowledge and the indications and contraindications that may be approved by the European Medicines Agency, the vaccination strategy will be as follows:

• Phase 1
    • From December 2020:
      • Health professionals involved in patient care
      • Professionals in the armed forces, security forces and critical services
      • Professionals and residents in Residential Structures for the Elderly (ERPI) and similar institutions
      • Professionals and users of the National Integrated Continuing Care Network (RNCCI).
    • From February 2021 :
      • People aged ≥50 years, with at least one of the following pathologies:
        • Cardiac insufficiency
        • Coronary heart disease
        • Renal insufficiency (Glomerular Filtration Rate <60ml / min)
        • (COPD) or chronic respiratory disease under ventilatory support and / or long-term oxygen therapy
  • Phase 2 (from April 2021):
    • Persons aged ≥65 years (who have not been previously vaccinated)
    • People between 50 and 64 years of age, inclusive, with at least one of the following pathologies:
      • Diabetes
      • Active malignant neoplasm
      • Chronic kidney disease (Glomerular Filtration Rate> 60ml / min)
      • Liver failure
      • Arterial hypertension
      • Obesity
      • Other pathologies with less prevalence that may be defined later, depending on scientific knowledge
  • Phase 3 (on a date to be determined after the completion of the second phase):
    • The rest of the eligible population, which can also be prioritized.

Your family doctor or nurse will be able to inform you about the stage at which you will be vaccinated.

Wait until you are contacted . The vaccination process will take place throughout the year 2021. It is not possible to request the appointment of your vaccine to COVID 19. You will be contacted by the National Health Service for this purpose. We appreciate that you wait and do not contact SNS 24 for this reason.

The Gov have said it will be free, and any expat who is officially resident has the same access to healthcare as a PT citizen. 

More info on this link; 

https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/PlanoVacinacaoCovid_19.pdf

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

The government's site:

https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/vacinacao-covid19/

and FAQs:

https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/vacinacao-faqs/

As to when individuals will get the vaccine, see the FAQ "Qual vai ser a estratégiade vacinação em Portugal".

Regarding your second question: Portugal is part of the EU-wide vaccine procurement program, which has not been seen as universally efficient or successful. Portugal has vaccinated just over 1% of the population, France is at 0.7, Germany 1.5, Spain 1.9, the UK 6.9.

See https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations for a whole load of Covid related stats.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Yes the EU is behind the UK on vaccinations. On the other hand many folk complained that the UK had rushed the vaccination approval program and went ahead too early.

You can´t have it both ways.

Also the EU is trying to run a common program for all its members. This is bound to slow things down, but it will stop a few influential member states grabbing all available stocks.

4 Replies
Community Member
(@beryl)

Eminent Member

@alan

The USA has managed to obtained the vaccine for millions of people so why does it slow it down for the EU.  I haven’t heard anything about rushing the vaccination in the UK and it appears to be a success

The EU should get its act together. There is no excuse for the delay.  There is no mention of it anywhere about when they are going to have it.  We just hear news about how bad Covid is in the EU.  I read about vaccinations all over the world but not the EU.  It’s as if we don’t exist.

Zoom
Premium Member
(@zoom)

Eminent Member

@beryl Don't mean to hijack the thread, but the US is also quite disorganized and very slow - most states have not yet completed the first phase of vaccinating front-line workers, so the grass is definitely not any greener here, though that may be of little comfort...

Community Member
(@beryl)

Eminent Member
Spoiler

@zoom

yes but At least they are doing something about it.  Nothing is happening over here at all.

i see you are an animal lover.  I find the attitude of most Portuguese towards animals is awful.  They just dump them on the streets when they want a new model or incarcerate them in small enclosures as guard dogs.  It is very depressing and I wouldn’t want to live here permanently when you see these poor animals hunting around for food and not being cared for.

They are doing something about it.  

PamE
Premium Member
(@pje)

@zoom I agree ! I’m a health care provider working 12 inches from people & just got my 1st vaccination last week

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

I did get a text to be on stand by for news from the Saudé about my jab. I am over 50.. 63 actually with several co-morbidity problems. ALL jabs are being given by the Saudé so you absolutely need to be registered with your local Saudé.

@peggyL

3 Replies
Community Member
(@beryl)

Eminent Member

@peggyl

Hi

thank you for info.  I am trying find out my local saude in Funchal.  Not much success at the moment.  I was referred to Madeira Safe - nothing there.  I rang the consulate but was advised to ring later.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@beryl

What city/town did you go to the "Junta" for your Atestado de residencia?That should also be the town where you go to the saudé. But, not always. We got sent to 3 different Saudé before finally getting to the place where they took out information & put it in the computer. When I went back there for my flu shot I was sent to the saudé in the biggest town associated with this municipality.

;- )  Typical day in the life of trying to comply with all the paperwork in Portugal. 

@peggyL

Community Member
(@beryl)

Eminent Member

@peggyl

i have registered with the health department and was informed that as they have my details they will let me know when and if the vaccine appears.

the only advantage in all these problems is that is keeps the little grey cells active.

Page 1 / 3

Wow Wines Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online