Health insurance for D7 visa – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

[Solved] Health insurance for D7 visa

Page 1 / 3

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@antifiat)
Trusted Member

I apologize in advance if this has been covered.  I looked through the topics but...

My wife and I need to show that we have either travel insurance with 30K coverage and repatriation OR a health plan provided through our Portuguese bank, MEDIS, etc.

I understand that each of us has specific circumstances but is there a good, somewhat inexpensive way to get reasonable coverage for our visa applications without breaking the bank...sorry for the redundancy. 😉

64 Replies

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@antifiat)
Trusted Member

I forgot to ask...I keep hearing the term "top up" coverage. Is that a private policy that supplements the national plan?  Can you suggest anyone to contact to find out more?

Thanks

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

Hello,

Usually repatriation in Health Insurance works for the country where you are subscribing the insurance. Meaning if you are subscribing the insurance in Portugal, they will repatriate you to... Portugal 🙂
For repatriation it is better to go with the travel insurance.

There are several companies that provide private health insurance in Portugal. Different companies and different plans, acording to your needs, age group, pre-existing conditions, the capitals and covers you want, etc.

On the bank they will only present you the private insurance of the company they work with, which can be good - if it is the best plan for you - or it can be bad if you have needs that are only available on other companies.

You can look at our Business directory to find comapnies that offer special conditions to Premium Members or if you want, send me a direct message and i will try to help you 🙂

Thanks,
Ana

16 Replies
Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@anavieira Thank you very much Ana for your explanation of repatriation. It makes sense.

We have discovered and learned many new insurance things over the past few days.  We have received a quote from one of the businesses associated with Expats Portugal.  They were very thorough but a little more expensive than we had expected.

Next year we will be faced with somewhat of a budget dilemma.  We will be obligated (compelled) to start paying for US Medicare which is directly deducted from our SS income. We pay for that even though we will live in Portugal where it cannot be used.

We will continue to look for our best options in Portugal and to meet at least the requirements for our D7 visa applications.

Dann
Premium Member
(@dann)

Eminent Member

@antifiat

I believe that what you are referring to for being obligated to pay for Medicare is actually "Medicare part B" which you can opt out of if you don't plan on returning to the US for future healthcare needs.  I live in Thailand and have opted out of part B because healthcare is so cheap here.

The caveat here is that if you ever want it back, the cost for re-enrollment goes up each year!

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@antifiat  

We will face same problem if we decide to move to PT. Is it possible even to keep Part B even if you live inPT? How about supplemental do you have to keep that to just in case?

Thanks for your respond, as we just start looking in to it.

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@dance   I was reading through these posts and thought I would mention a couple things; It is possible to keep your Part B while living out of the country, in fact will incur a premium penalty if you don't and then return to the US later.  You can choose to maintain a Supplement plan for just in case, but it is not required. If you have an Advantage plan, it will not remain eligible at some point after moving abroad.  There is a great book called "Medicare Made Easy; What Expats, Frequent Travelers, and You Need To Know", written by an expat/medicare insurance expert named Ron Elledge. You can procure the paperback via www.InternationalLiving.com  He explains Medicare very well and gives case examples and good advice.  Or, you could make an appt. with a seasoned Medicare specializing agent in your area,  just to get a tutorial for use in making your plans.  There are various options and aspects to consider in making the right choice in coverage, depending on each expat's overall plans. We are trying to suss it out ourselves, it takes study and we're glad we came upon this book to help us sort it out and know what to ask a true expert.

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@alleycat Thank you so much, your information is very valuable for us! We will definitely check out the book you recommend. If you get any new information we would be very much appreciated. If we fined anything new we would share as well. Best wishes!

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@alleycat  Is there really so much to know about Medicare that would fill a book, other than (1) extremely limited coverage outside the USA and (2) if you opt out of Part B ( i.e.stop paying for it), there is a penalty if you later decide to opt back into it again.  Or am I overlooking something?

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@jeanne Not too much if you already have your Medicare plan chosen and started, except knowing the differences between having an addl. Supplemental policy (that you can opt to maintain while residing abroad and be able to come back to the US for medical reasons), or a Medicare Advantage plan that one will not be eligible to keep when moving out of the US but can swiftly sign up again(penalty free) if you return to the US to live. Although, while traveling for scouting trips in PT, some Advantage plans allow coverage for urgent care to go beyond 60 days.

We are still needing to learn about the D7 required Travel Insurance options plus the private health care policy/cost options in PT. We don't have our NIF #s yet and have not yet gotten any quotes. Ana Vieira can help us with quotes after we get our NIF number and look into the directory here. Being seniors, we know our cost will be higher. Did you suss out these things and have any helpful info or recommendations? 

Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@alleycat  I am only starting to look into this in detail myself, but one option I've seen referenced often and favorably is the group insurance available through AFPOP. 

As to Medicare, the calculations I've seen indicate that the 'penalty' (or actually increased premium) for opting out of Part B and later back in is a wash.  By which I mean, it works out to the same total amount as if one had continued paying all along. If I can locate that calculation again, I will share the link.  And off the top of my head, I don't remember whether opting back in again to Part B can be done only during an open enrollment period. 

This is just one indication of the miserable, complicated mess that the healthcare industry has become in the USA. 

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@jeanne So true, let's hope we do appreciate the PT health system better.  That is why also, I did find the book I mentioned, somewhat helpful when I was initially starting my medicare and knew I would probably become an expat...PT or Bust!  I would like to see that calculation if you pass by it again...or maybe I can work the numbers if I put my thinking cap on. 😜

JAR
Community Member
(@jar)

Trusted Member

@antifiat Hi there...you are getting advice/answers from the best, most responsive insurance resource we have ever had (got our D7 in March, moved here in April from the SF bay area). Ana is phenomenal. My husband and I have both MGEN and Medis covering us (relating to pre-existing conditions for both of us). 

My husband also has SS as well. If you have not gotten a simulacao (correct me if I am wrong Ana), which is the equivalent of a quote based on your needs/medical history, you will see that premiums and co-pays for private care here are much, much lower than in the US. We have our 1st appt next week with our assigned primary Dr. through the national system but have had phenomenal care up until now w/Hospital da Luz in Lisbon.

Premium Member
(@antifiat)

Trusted Member

@jar Yes.  All done with the help of Ana!  She is wonderful and has helped us throughout our process.  I cannot say enough good things about her.

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@jar Can I ask you if you or your husband is under70? Did he still keeping medicare part B? I got quote and our was pretty pricy, after 70 with Winnsurance. How long did it take you to get your NIS number after D7 approval?

JAR
Community Member
(@jar)

Trusted Member

@dance Apologize for the delay; holidays and all 🙃 

He is over 70. Kept Part B for our trips back to the US. I am not of Medicare age so I am sorry that I am not an authority...others are more qualified to answer than I am. The D7 process (herculean at times w/selling our home during tax season, on and on) so things are fuzzy w/out digging into folders of this info. We received our Visa in March and I believe the NIFs came in April. Are you working w/a consultant or going it on your own?

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

Estimable Member

@anavieira You’re so helpful Ana. Obrigado!

Jst
Community Member
(@jst)

@anavieira Help me understand this.  If repatriation is only available with travel insurance, and the repatriation is only to the country the policy originated (USA for example), travel insurance must be from a US insurance company? 

Then, further down the road as a resident of Portugal, local health insurance is purchased, but no travel insurance, resulting in no repatriation clause?   

It's really not an issue for me at this time. I just like to ask a lot of questions and learn as much as possible. 😀 

Thanks!

(@anavieira)

@jst Sorry i just noticed now your comment.
If you are travelling from the US to Portugal, yes, travel insurance must be made from US to cover repatriation back to the US.
When you have already your residency permit in Portugal, you do not need repatriation. Beccause it means You were accepted here and that we would not send you back 🙂 
But if you are living in Portugal and want to go to the US (or other country) on holidays, visiting family, etc, you can do a travel insurance in Portugal that will cover you while in the US/other country and that brings you back to Portugal if anything serious happends during your travel.
🙂

(@anavieira)

Ok Great!
A lot to know about insurances 🙂

Premium Member
(@goldendoodle)

We are in Portugal and purchased a house, opened bank account and obtained our NIF. The bank is going to provide the health insurance. The problem is it does not have 30,000 coverage each or repatriate to US. Do we need another Traveler's policy or is verification of payment for health policy sufficient. Bank said its the policy they provide for Golden Visas (We're applying for D7)

10 Replies
(@anavieira)

@goldendoodle 

Hello,

I believe you would need a traveler´s policy to cover the repatriation topic. Health insurance will not cover repatriation.
Repatriation must be made from the country where they want you to be sent back to. In this case, the US. If you make an insurance in Portugal, the repatriation will be to Portugal 🙂 

Regarding the 30.000 coverage, you may have to look for an insurance that offers you more capital.

Good luck!
Ana

Premium Member
(@goldendoodle)

@anavieira thanks so much!

Premium Member
(@goldendoodle)

Do you have insurance provider you recommend for Travel Heslth for D7

KLC
Community Member
(@klc)

Trusted Member
Premium Member
(@goldendoodle)

Thanks

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@goldendoodle Are you traveling from US to PT for D7 with Schengen Visa Travel insurance?

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@klc If you need to travel back to USA it’s probably would not work, just for Schengen countries, is it correct?

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@klc What country from you traveled to PT when you used that company for your insurance?

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@KLC Did you used Schengen visa Travel Insurance for D7?

Is it has repatriation $30,000 coverage as well?

Thanks,

Mila

KLC
Community Member
(@klc)

Trusted Member

@dance yes we did

Page 1 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online