Health insurance for D7 visa - Page 2 – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • Martinhall banner
  • spartan Fx

[Solved] Health insurance for D7 visa

Page 2 / 3

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@antifiat)
Eminent Member

I apologize in advance if this has been covered.  I looked through the topics but...

My wife and I need to show that we have either travel insurance with 30K coverage and repatriation OR a health plan provided through our Portuguese bank, MEDIS, etc.

I understand that each of us has specific circumstances but is there a good, somewhat inexpensive way to get reasonable coverage for our visa applications without breaking the bank...sorry for the redundancy. 😉

41 Replies

Premium Member
(@jgibson)
Reputable Member

Please let me know where you end up finding this coverage I made an inquiry about using my existing insurance even though it has unlimited coverage in Europe (when I’m outside of the US )and coverage in the US it did not qualify for the D7 requirement I was told I needed the same travelers insurance that you’ve mentioned 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @jgibson

Please let me know where you end up finding this coverage I made an inquiry about using my existing insurance even though it has unlimited coverage in Europe (when I’m outside of the US )and coverage in the US it did not qualify for the D7 requirement I was told I needed the same travelers insurance that you’ve mentioned 

My go to place for Travel Insurance.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

In the last webinar about D7, with Ei Assessoria Migratória, they explained that you must have a Travel Insurance with a minimum of 35.000 and repatriation.
Private Health insurance is recommended.
Those are 2 different insuranc: Health and Travel.

What i understand about insurance is that the travel insurance to cover repatriation must be made at your origin country, not at your destination.
They want to make sure that if you have a serious problem here, you have an insurance to pay to take you back to US and that you will not be a cost to the local authorities.

I am not an expat. I am portuguese 🙂 

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

The travel insurance is necessary while you are in the country on your D7, correct?  Once you have your Residence Permit, do you still need the travel insurance?  I don't think so, right?

9 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @hank_2021

The travel insurance is necessary while you are in the country on your D7, correct?  Once you have your Residence Permit, do you still need the travel insurance?  I don't think so, right?

Correct. Once you have your resident permit, then you can get going with your private insurance or wing it with the state health system, or do both.

Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021  In any case, as US citizens with possibly friends/family back home, what if you reach a demise in Portugal...do you want your remains to go "home" to those folks to follow your wishes?  I too, am from the US and in the midst of research on all this...I think we will need to find some type of coverage for repatriation, even after we have received a residency permit. It may be a new policy than the one originated to satisfy VFS, but a good idea. At least we need to leave a directive and $ to pay the costs, if having no insurance.  Let's see what other's are advising who have residency? 

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@alleycat That's a good question, but I don't want to be buried in the U.S.  I'll either be buried in PT or Ireland.  I plan on working towards PT citizenship.

I'd be interested to hear the answer tho.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 scatter my ashes in the sea!

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jgibson Is it strange that, knowing you to the extent I do, that this doesn't surprise me and makes me 😊 ?

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 Not only a Merchant Mariner by trade but a Merchant Mariner at heart. I spend most of my life on water. I was conceived on the ocean and desire to be buried in the ocean 🤘🤘🤘 I know too much information LOL 😂 

much to my wife’s dismay one of my sailing buddies and I have be contemplating making a transatlantic crossing for our relocation to Portugal. East coast to Bermuda to Azores to Algarve she’s not convinced it would be an exciting month of adventure.   She has   “No spirit of adventure”I keep telling her ! 

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jgibson God damn, dude.  I can't wait to meet you in person.

See, this is what I love about this community.  There are so many amazing people from all over the world, you could learn so much from everyone and learn so many new and amazing stories.

You should teach sailing.  I would sign up in a heart beat.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 I’m an extreme amateur!!! when it comes to wind power

But fortunately know a few pro’s

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jgibson See, I'm thinking a good beginner sloop for some coastal sailing around the Mediterranean would be awesome.  Doesn't have to be anything fancy as we would be total noobs and don't have to even leave sight of the shore.  But damn it would be cool to sail to Greece, Italy, Spain..just off the coast.

Premium Member
(@jonharris)

How long do you have to carry the health insurance? At some point you are going to be covered under the universal health coverage through Portugal's National Health Service. Do you just need coverage until your D7 is finalized?

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

@jonharris I guess you do not need to keep your private insurance after you get your residency and can have access to the public health service.

But you can ask yourself another question: is it better for me to keep it so i can have quicker and complete access to medical care?

Depending on your medical needs and the location you choose to live, it may take you longer to get an appointment or a medical exam in the public service.
And some times longer is several months or even more than one year.  

Maybe the price to pay for the insurance is not so high and it can help you when you need 🙂

Premium Member
(@jonharris)

I agree, I think I would keep the insurance! Thanks for the feedback!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jeanne)

Reputable Member

@jonharris   perhaps not "keep the insurance", but arrange a supplemental PT policy, which will likely be cheaper than the travel + repatriation policy that you initially have to buy.

Page 2 / 3

• Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online