Should I Setup Medical Insurance Before Arriving in Portugal? – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Should I Setup Medical Insurance Before Arriving in Portugal?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@ianmcshane)
Eminent Member

Hello,

I am moving to Portugal from the UK (I am Irish).  

Does my NIF (mine is currently non-habitual linked to UK address) need to be linked to an address in Portugal before being able to get medical insurance?

Can I apply for an SNS before arriving?

Is it possible and should I setup medical insurance before arriving in Portugal?

Do I need international insurance before heading over if I can't setup Portuguese medical insurance ahead of time?

Thank you,

Ian

21 Replies

Premium Member
(@misticjeff)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @ianmcshane

Does my NIF (mine is currently non-habitual linked to UK address) need to be linked to an address in Portugal before being able to get medical insurance?

No

Not Sure

Is it possible and should I setup medical insurance before arriving in Portugal?

It is possible, yes.  You will need medical insurance for your SEF appointment once you recieve your Visa.

Do I need international insurance before heading over if I can't setup Portuguese medical insurance ahead of time?

You need travel insurance which covers Repatriation, etc. as one of the requirements to get your Visa.   See Winsurance in the business directory or look here on the forums for info regarding that.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@ianmcshane)

Eminent Member

@misticjeff Thank you for getting back to me.  I will have a look at Insurance in the business directory for more information.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

Ian, are you in fact an Irish Citizen? If so then different rules apply. If you are Irish then do you have any links back to the Irish healthcare system? 

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@ianmcshane)

Eminent Member

@jonesdn2020 Thank you for replying. I am, but I don't have an EHIC card... have not requested one given I was in the UK.  Feeling frustrated now, I should have requested one.  If I recall correctly I can request my EHIC from overseas... might have a look into that and have the EHIC card posted to Portugal within the first 90 days.

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@jonesdn2020 

That is true!  As an Irish citizen, you will have an EU passport and things are a lot easier.  

We are in Madeira and are going through the process of obtaining residency right now. From what we have experienced (using our Irish passports):

1. You will be required to present your passport, NIF, and proof of residency (a lease, in Portuguese, for example) in order to obtain a certificate of residency from the Junta/City Hall- this cost 3 Euros each. I just received this the other day.

2. I was told that I then needed to go to the SEF office (also located at the city hall), present them with the residency certificate (and other documents like passports, NIFs, possibly proof of insurance) and 15 Euros each to process the residency permit.

3. We were told the process will take about two weeks and that we would be notified to return when the permits were ready.

I'll update this after we get through the process tomorrow.

Cheers

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@lowellmk If you need private health insurance then contact Nuno from Winsurance in the business directory. He hooked us up with our policy.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

No, you need to be a resident of Portugal. You can access emergency health care as a tourist by using your EHIC/GHIC.

As jonesdn2020 has pointed out an Eire (EU) citizen exercising their freedom of movement rights is subject to different rules. It depends on whether Portuguese citizens are required to have health insurance in Eire.

Have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members, as well as health insurance, provided that Portuguese citizens are required to do so in the Member State of their nationality

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@ianmcshane)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke Thank you for replying. I will have to find out if EHIC card would suffice for the SEF interview. I do intend on getting private medical insurance in Portugal.

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@ianmcshane Contact Winsurance from the business directory for the private medical insurance. We have our policy through them after shopping around.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@ianmcshane As a Irish (EU) citizen, I believe you don't need a SEF appointment, just register in the local Câmara Municipal (municipality), stating you're living in Portugal.  Check: https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/conteudo-detalhe.aspx?nID=22

Zoom
Premium Plus member
(@zoom)

Estimable Member

@ianmcshane We just went through this, since my wife is German - once you have proof of a local address, you can get the residency done at the local camara - no SEF involved.

Premium Member
(@ianmcshane)

Eminent Member

@zoom @Antonio_F Thank you for this. I think I am getting muddled with the information online between non-EU and EU requirements.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Feeling frustrated now, I should have requested one.  If I recall correctly I can request my EHIC from overseas

I'm not sure you can get an Eire EHIC if you don't live in Eire, unless you're living in another EU member state and are in receipt of an Eire state pension and have an Eire issued S1 and have registered the S1 in the EUMS you reside in.

8 Replies
Premium Member
(@ianmcshane)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke Yeah I had a look online. You are correct.

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke 

I don't think this is correct...all he/she needs is an Irish Passport.  Where they presently live does not change 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @lowellmk

@old-bloke 

I don't think this is correct...all he/she needs is an Irish Passport.  Where they presently live does not change 

Correct, where the OP currently lives does not affect his right to register residency in Portugal as an EU citizen. My comment regarding where he currently lives was in relation to his ability to obtain an Eire EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).

Being resident in the UK he could apply for a UK GHIC (General Health Insurance Card) but having one of those will not have any bearing on him registering residency in Portugal as per the blue text (from the relevant law) in one of my earlier posts. 

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke 

Agreed and that was how I interpreted your comment. I am immigrating from the US, have Irish citizenship, and am mid-way through the process. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@lowellmk 

I'm confused, your post starting "I don't think this is correct" was as a reply to my post where I said I don't think the OP could apply for an Eire EHIC if he didn't live in Eire. (A belief subsequently confirmed by the OP after he researched it)

Or are you saying that one of my other posts on this thread are incorrect? I'd be grateful if you clarify where I have posted incorrect information by quoting the relevant text for the benefit of other members (and so I can avoid posting incorrect information in the future).

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke 

Sorry.  I concur with what you said.  I was referring to another individual’s comments. 

I concur with your comments. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@lowellmk 

Thanks for the clarification, I was starting to think I'd lost the plot.

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke 

my bad.  Sorry for the drama. 

🙂

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online