SNS Number needed for Medical Certificate Obtain from a Private Clinic? – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

SNS Number needed for Medical Certificate Obtain from a Private Clinic?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@beatrice)

Hi, I am trying to get a medical certificate so that I can apply to exchange my UK driving licence for a Portuguese licence. I received my residency permit and I have registered with my local health centre where I was told I would be contacted by them once they have my SNS number. As there is a timescale for applying to exchange my licence I went to a private clinic to obtain the required medical certificate for the IMT application but the medical centre said they could not issue the certificate until I had my SNS number. I went back to the health centre but they said I had to wait until my registration card was issued and they were unable to tell me how long it would take. Does anyone know of how I can contact, whoever issues the SNS numbers, to try to find out the timeline and also, is it the norm that a private clinic cannot issue a medical certificate for a driving licence without this SNS number or is it perhaps just this particular clinic? Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

4 Replies

Community Member
(@vianina)
Eminent Member

The timeline for getting the SNS number was about 2 weeks when I got mine back in early 2020. I don't know more than that, sorry.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@beatrice)

Thank you, I know their timelines can change but at least it gives me some idea. Thank you for your response.

QBV
VIP Member
(@bon-ventos)
Trusted Member

Regarding private clinics needing the SNS number - yes, that is standard. The results of the medical are transmitted directly to IMT and they need your SNS number to do that. When we did ours the clinic advised us to emphasise we only required the number for our licence medical and not actually wanting to see a doctor. We received them in a matter of days, although this was a few years ago now when social conditions were less fraught.  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@beatrice)

Thank you very much for taking the time to advise. I went again to our health centre and I saw a different lady and she was able to process my registration and she gave me my number there and then. I have since given the number to the medical centre and I have just now received the email that the certificate has been submitted. So now onto the next stage..... Thank you very much for your input, it is much appreciated. 

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online