Touring and Registering with SNS? – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Touring and Registering with SNS?

Posts: 104
Premium Member
Topic starter
Estimable Member
Joined: 8 months ago

Bom Dia,

My wife and I are in Portugal and doing a bit of touring, looking for a rental property. We have our temporary D7 visas and have an appointment with SEF early in May. Since we are wondering about a bit with no real fixed address should we register with the SNS? We would like to have access to the system if we need it but don't want to have to keep moving our registration location around as well. 

-- Michael

1 Reply

Posts: 173
Ask Our Expats Consultant
Joined: 1 year ago

To get your SNS number (national health service) you must present: residence permit and Tax Identification Number - the famous Nif.

its correct to ask in the area you are living in. But in the future if you move, you can change your health center. This is valid for Portuguese and I’m not 100% sure if it is the same for expats. Better to check the address topic.

I do not know if you have already your residence permit. If so you can register 🙂

You can also subscribe to a private health insurance if you prefer.



  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!


By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year


Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.



NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.




The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online