Travel by road to Portugal - Covid PCR tests – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Travel by road to Portugal - Covid PCR tests

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@steadyeddy)

I've searched the forums on this one but can't find an answer.

I'm taking ferry from UK to Spain and then driving down to Portugal first week of June.

No Covid PCR tests are now required to enter Spain but I would need one if flying directly to Portugal from UK. My question is are there controls on the Spain/Portugal road border to check on Covid test status?

Cheers

Ed

11 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

A combination of what I have read, and recent experience (mine and others) suggests that there are no routine controls of any kind on the Spain/Portugal border BUT the Portuguese authorities do reference random checking (that is to say, roaming temporary checks at/near the border).

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)
Eminent Member

Hi Ed, we are also taking the UK to Spain ferry next week on our way home to Portugal. We understand that the Spain/Portugal borders are not routinely manned currently but from experience we know this can change at short notice. We will be driving a UK plated car and as such we're likely to stand out to be stopped by GNR or SEF so we have booked PCR tests just in case.

8 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@comfortapaul
@steadyeddy

Can you please let us know how it went after your trip 🙂

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

Eminent Member

@itexpert7 - will do😎

VIP Member
(@steadyeddy)

@comfortapaul
I think that's a sensible approach - I was coming to the same conclusion!
Did you find a reliable PCR site? There seems to be plenty of scams going on around this...
Are you on the June 6th Plymouth-Santander?

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

Eminent Member

Hi Ed,  we are on the Portsmouth to Santander ferry next week. 

In terms of PCR test providers, we really struggled to find a gov.uk provider that a) fitted in timewise with tests and results before boarding the ferry; b) was still within 72 hours of arrival from test to disembarking and allowing time for customs clearance; and c) didn't cost the earth!

We are using Assured Screening, a nationwide screening service. Fingers crossed that their  guarantees are genuine.

Safe travels 😎

VIP Member
(@steadyeddy)

@comfortapaul
Thanks Paul - will give them a try. Best wishes for your trip!

Premium Member
(@luise)

Estimable Member

@steadyeddy when I drove through in March the Spain/Portugal boarder was manned. I had to show papers and PCR test.

VIP Member
(@steadyeddy)

@luise
Thanks Luise - I just arrived this evening - straight through at the border...
I do have my negative test certificate though - after paying £89 for it, I kind of hope someone asks to see it!

Premium Member
(@luise)

Estimable Member

@steadyeddy oh I know what you mean. After they make you gather all the the paperwork you're like "look at it dam you, look at it!" 😂

reg1
VIP Member
(@reg1)
Estimable Member

Hi Ed

According to this info you ought to have a negative test.

httpstext=From%201%20May%2C%20road%20traffic,72%20hours%20prior%20to%20departure.

Good luck and enjoy  your trip.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online