Type 1 Diabetes Experience – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner
  • Martinhall banner

Type 1 Diabetes Experience

Community Member
Topic starter
(@retire24)

I'm from the United States and starting my research about moving to Portugal in 2-3 years.  The first hiccup is my wife's Type 1 Diabetes.  She uses a Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor) and omnipods with a PDM (personal diabetes manager) It is basically an insulin pump that she fills with Novolog insulin.

So my question is about other people's experience in Portugal with these types of devices.  1) Are these types of devices available for purchase in Portugal? Will private insurance help defray the cost?  If not, has anybody had to pay out of pocket and know the approximate cost?

We are extremely fortunate to have good insurance through my employer and the bill to insurance is around $4000 every 3- 4 months.

I'm not sure I can convince her to move to Portugal if we couldn't get or afford a CGM and insulin pump.  I don't think she wants to go back to finger sticks and needle shots several times a day. 🙂 

Thanks.

3 Replies

Community Member
(@jmb49)

You can purchase Dexcom G6 in Portugal through Vitalaire, but I don't think omnipod is available there.  This is my concern also.  We are thinking about relocating in about 2 years and my son is on the Tandem X2 CIQ and Dexcom G6.  They do not supply tandem products.  Here is the website for the Dexcom G6 in Portugal.  They are very responsive to emails. 

Premium Member
(@midlifecrisis)
Trusted Member

Guys, I don't know the answer to your question but I would suggest you contact The Association for the Protection of Diabetics of Portugal (APDP) https://apdp.pt/

1 Reply
Community Member
(@jmb49)

@midlifecrisis I've contacted them previously and they said the only insulin pumps available in Portugal are Roche and Medtronic 🙁

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online