Type 1 Diabetes Experience – Healthcare in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Premium Member benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Type 1 Diabetes Experience  

Community Member
Topic starter
(@retire24)

I'm from the United States and starting my research about moving to Portugal in 2-3 years.  The first hiccup is my wife's Type 1 Diabetes.  She uses a Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor) and omnipods with a PDM (personal diabetes manager) It is basically an insulin pump that she fills with Novolog insulin.

So my question is about other people's experience in Portugal with these types of devices.  1) Are these types of devices available for purchase in Portugal? Will private insurance help defray the cost?  If not, has anybody had to pay out of pocket and know the approximate cost?

We are extremely fortunate to have good insurance through my employer and the bill to insurance is around $4000 every 3- 4 months.

I'm not sure I can convince her to move to Portugal if we couldn't get or afford a CGM and insulin pump.  I don't think she wants to go back to finger sticks and needle shots several times a day. 🙂 

Thanks.

Blevins Franks banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online