Welcome to the Expats Portugal forum!

Since 2005, this forum has had over 6,000 people sign up and take part in our community.

It is a place for people who want to move to Portugal and for those already living here to meet and share knowledge through our community.

With the recent revamp of the site, we have chosen to keep the forum on the website rather than create a social media group as we know there are people concerned about privacy and who owns their data. Plus there is a wealth of information from the years gone by that we did not want to lose.

But this forum is nothing without your input. So come on in, take a look around, ask questions and answer a few.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please head over to the My Account section and reset your password today.

Storage Express banner

Residency Questions...

Notifications

Residency Questions for dual citizen / broken 5 year stay  

Page 1 / 2

Astrid
Admin
(@expatsadmin)

Hi everyone,

When I first moved to Portugal in 2012, I entered on my EU passport (i have dual Australian and EU nationality), and applied for a registration certificate to stay (valid for 5 years). A couple of months after it expired, I moved back to Australia for nearly 2 years but then returned to Portugal and again entered on my EU passport.

When looking at the SEF website, I can only apply for permanent residency after 5 years of "continued" habitation here. So do I need to apply for a new registration certificate and wait another 5 years?

I am married to a Portuguese guy so perhaps the marriage route may be quicker, but even then I have to have lived here for 3 years.

Anyone got experience in this area and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

7 Replies
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member

There are huge delays (over 12 months) in processing Portuguese citizenship applications.
Alan

lapper
(@lapper)

The marriage route, you dont need to live 3 years, you need to have been married for 3 years.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

The timefram of the application takes 1 year and half.

sherryman
(@sherryman)

Hi, I have owned a house in Portugal for 15 years and wondered what the residency process is. Always had a fiscal card, bank account etc. 

2 Replies
alan
 alan
(@alan)

Noble Member

The best answer for this is to visit the governments own site (in English) at https://www.acm.gov.pt/-/como-adquirir-nacionalidade-portuguesa-por-naturalizacao-

The requirements are different depending on your status. e.g. If you claim by residency you will need to pass a simple language test. If you claim by marriage that is not necessary.

I am not sure where you are from, but if you are British I strongly advise you to get your residency papers up to date before the end of this year´s Brexit transition.

Alan

X Camone
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @sherryman

Hi, I have owned a house in Portugal for 15 years and wondered what the residency process is. Always had a fiscal card, bank account etc. 

Not clear from that whether you're actually resident and need to do anything - you could have those things and still be resident elsewhere.

How much time do you spend here? If you're permanent, it's as Victoria1st says above, assuming you're an EU citizen.

X Camone
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Re: length of time it takes to process citizenship applications.

It might depend on whereabouts you are. I'm helping with one for acquisition of citizenship by descent, which has been submitted via a local registry office in the north of the country. They're liaising with a regional office in Guimarães and saying that barring any further problems, it ought to be done and dusted within about a month from now. The papers were submitted in early Jan (that's last month, not last year!) and we've had one minor bit of sorting out to do on it since.

Apparently, if it had had to go through Lisbon it would have been a very different story.

Page 1 / 2

You need to be a Paid User to create items and comment on this forum

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Over 6,000 members already registered on our forum
  • Post and reply to threads in the Forum (non-members can just view)
  • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
  • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners

Already a member? Log in here

Donate today to gain full accessOnly €20 per year
Share:

Booking.com

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online