Welcome to the Expats Portugal forum!

Since 2005, this forum has had over 6,000 people sign up and take part in our community.

It is a place for people who want to move to Portugal and for those already living here to meet and share knowledge through our community.

With the recent revamp of the site, we have chosen to keep the forum on the website rather than create a social media group as we know there are people concerned about privacy and who owns their data. Plus there is a wealth of information from the years gone by that we did not want to lose.

But this forum is nothing without your input. So come on in, take a look around, ask questions and answer a few.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please head over to the My Account section and reset your password today.

Recommendations: An...

Notifications

Recommendations: Android En-PT(EU) Dictionary Applications  

RSS

MTBinLusitania
(@mtbinlusitania)
Eminent Member
02/12/2018 1:12 am  

Hi Folks,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for recommendations for Android English - European Portuguese Dictionary Applications please.

Thanks, MTB.

Tania
(@tartntiny)
Trusted Member
02/12/2018 8:43 am  

Hi,

itranslate is what I use. It's European Portuguese and has a free and paid version. I use the free and have never found the need to get the paid version. I use it on my android phone and laptop.

ReplyQuote
SteveJ
(@stevej)
Noble Member
02/12/2018 4:50 pm  

Hi,

The obvious one is Google Translate, but as I'm sure you're aware, use with care. This is the one I use when out and about and just want a quick look-up.

I've found "linguee" to be very useful - as well as providing translations for individual words it also shows the words in context. It has translations of a lot of documents, so can show the word as used in sentences, so when a word has multiple translations, this helps choose the correct one.

I also use (mainly for letter writing etc. on my laptop, but a version is available on Android) the "Priberam" suite. This has a dictionary - in Portuguese! - but has a translation module, a verb conjugator, and an option to check passages for grammar, spelling, gender etc. It can also check text against the Novo Acordo Ortográfico if you are writing formally.

Steve

ReplyQuote
moi
 moi
(@moi)
Reputable Member
02/12/2018 8:37 pm  

www.reverso.net

Relvas Teixeira.....beautiful place.

http://mixedabilityme.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
alan
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member
02/12/2018 9:41 pm  

I assume that you want one that you can carry with you in your phone.

Many of these dictionaries require web access, which may limit your choice.

Alan

ReplyQuote
MTBinLusitania
(@mtbinlusitania)
Eminent Member
02/12/2018 10:02 pm  

alan wrote:
> I assume that you want one that you can carry with you in your phone.
>
> Many of these dictionaries require web access, which may limit your choice.
>
> Alan

Hi Alan et al,

Yes, I should have stipulated that it can work in offline mode.

Thanks, MTB.

ReplyQuote
SteveJ
(@stevej)
Noble Member
03/12/2018 4:05 pm  

I've just done a quick check of the three I mentioned - Google and Linguee both work offline (via downloaded dictionaries), but the Priberam system requires an internet link.

ReplyQuote

You need to be a Paid User to create items and comment on this forum

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Over 6,000 members already registered on our forum
  • Post and reply to threads in the Forum (non-members can just view)
  • List products free of charge in Buy, Swap, Sell & Wanted
  • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners

Already a member? Log in here

Donate today to gain full accessOnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online