Grammar agh – Learning the Language – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Grammar agh

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@gidget)

I'm new. Like less than a month in to learning. As of now I'm using Drops which is helpful but not super in-depth at all for things like why this sentence is structured this way, they just tell you the phrase and that's it so far. I just started Steps as well which seems more involved. My problem is I'm having issues picking up and remembering trends with things like verbs and their different forms like posso and pode. Who has a good resource for grammatical rules? I need thinks explained to me like I'm 5 sometimes, so the more simple and concise the better lol

10 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

Hi Gidget, 

The Portuguese language is complicated as you can see and verbs are the worse. I have attached a sheet with the verbs and rules that may help you - it helps me a lot.

You may also be keen to know we have just done a deal with Mia Esmerez Language school and Premium Members get a 15% discount off her courses (but anyone can sign up with or without a discount of course). You can find the details here:

https://expatsportugal.com/premium-member-benefits/

We were thinking of starting a Zoom group /or open chat place for people to come and practice what they have learned. Still to be confirmed but I think it could be fun.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@astridff

Hi Astrid, 

Here are a few other attachments of Portuguese verbs. They can be found on Portuguese with Rafa. 🙂

The two below are for a few other verbs (alpha with the pronunciation), but the best one is with more common verbs and is color coded. Unfortunately, I attempted to attach it, but it doesn't support pdf's. Thought best to share with YOU, and let you screen me before they are shared. Not sure if you have a non-compete deal with Mia or not. 

If folks are looking for good *free* tips, Portuguese with Rafa also has cheater type verbs, pronouns, definite/indefinite articles, etc.

Welcome to Learn Portuguese with Rafa (learn-portuguese-with-rafa.com)

Right side - half way down, hyper links to the grammar. I also bought the book and it's even recommended by my language instructor through Lusa Language Course out of Lisbon. 

Would love to find out if you guys put together a language group to chat.... or attempt to chat. We're still in the states... but plan on relocating in July 2021. 

All the best - Char

(@astridff)

@charw23 thanks for sharing! Great help.

Premium Member
(@charw23)

Trusted Member

@astridff

Happy to share Astrid. Can you please let me know why pdf's aren't accepted? Also, can anyone upload anything... or do we need to throw your way first? Want to make sure I'm following your protocol. 🙂

Até logo

Char

Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)
Eminent Member

I just bought Essential Portuguese Grammar and it's a pretty thorough guide to Portuguese grammar specifically. I have been using Memrise to learn the language and similarly found it is mostly focused on learning words and phrases without understanding why the phrases are constructed the way they are, so I got this book to fill in those gaps, which it does very well.

https://m.doverpublications.com/0486216500.html

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

@awarrenlove Great recommendation. I have been learning the language for several years and find this little book useful, well organised with clear examples. It will, I am sure, become my 'go to' for reference. Thanks.

(@pamalcobaca)

Hi, I hope it's OK to share this here, I have a facebook group for people learning European Portuguese. There are quite a few good podcasts available now (Mia also shares her videos there!) and lots of people at all stages of learning willing to give advice

Good luck with learning - it does get easier!

(@cabanastavira)

Portuguese grammar is just not easy. I am having lessons with Ana on Portuguese in your Pyjamas. Can recommend - find her on FB.

For verbs I use

https://conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-portuguese.html

when I get stuck, too frequently!

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online