Learning portugese & Spanish? – Learning the Language – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Martinhall banner
  • Serenity Banner

Learning portugese & Spanish?

PamE
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@pje)
Eminent Member

I started learning Spanish almost 3 months ago using Duolingo as 3 of the possible retirement spots I was considering were Spanish speaking countries. As I’ve done more research everything points to Portugal. I am probably 3 years or so away from retiring. I do plan to visit next fall. Would be I be better off continuing Spanish & then switching to portugese ( I know I’d need something other then Duolingo as it’s Brazilian portugese) or will it be better to switch to portugese now? Or learn both at once? I’m not sure how long it takes to learn - I’m spending roughly 20 hours/ week on Spanish now. 

6 Replies

Admin
(@astridff)

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, if you plan on living in Portugal, switch to European Portuguese. Although there are some similarities between Spanish and Portuguese, there are a lot of differences too. Unless you are a language-learning master, I would focus on the one you will need once here.

Portuguese is a very difficult language and I am not great at learning languages. I have lived here since 2012, married to a Portuguese man, kids speak Portuguese yet I still struggle. 

4 Replies
 PamE
Premium Member
(@pje)

Eminent Member

@astridff thanks so much for your answer! I think I will switch over & start learning portugese. I’m hoping to visit next fall & it would be nice to know at least a little. Learning Spanish was nice as I have 2 coworkers who speak Spanish to practice on 🙂, but I really think my future is going to be in Portugal

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

I would certainly start on portuguese - right decision IMHO.
Many years ago I started using Duolingo... it helped me build my vocabulary. However, I stopped Duolingo when I started having 1:1 lessons with my european portuguese. Yes, I had o unlearn a little but not so much as to feel I had wasted my time.

PamE
Premium Member
(@pje)

Eminent Member

@cabanastavira thanks! I was using Duolingo for Spanish & really liked it but I saw that their portugese was Brazilian so I downloaded drops & Ling which I don’t like as well as Duolingo. Do you think using Duolingo was helpful for you even if it was Brazilian portugese? 

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

@pje Yes I did find Duolingo useful to start off. As long as you are aware that there are differences but to me not significant, in the main. Brazilian soap operas are widely watched in Portugal so any slips are, generally, understood. I am sure that there are those who would disagree with me but for a way to start building vocabulary for free it is fine: not perfect!
However, I now have European portuguese lessons. There are now plenty of European portuguese resources on the web (there weren't when I started.) Hope this helps.

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

Good Morning, I also live in the US currently. Have been intermittently taking Portuguese lessons from a woman from Madeira for a couple of years and use books recommended by her which you can obtain online, Bom Dia 1 and Bom Dia 2. Bom Dia 1 is very good to get all the basics you need. But recently I moved and was able to add Portuguese TV stations to my cable subscription (make sure they are not the Brazilian ones which are more prevalent), specifically RTPI and SIC. In just a month I have to tell you I have gone from my usual, OMG, I don't know what they are saying to, hey, I get some of that. The children's cartoons, cooking shows, new reports and telenovelas are really very good because often the speech is slowed way down. Tchau

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online