Learning Portuguese recommendations – Learning the Language – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • Martinhall banner
  • spartan Fx

Learning Portuguese recommendations

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@astridff)

Thought we should gather some tips and recommendations on learning the Portuguese language.

If you have succeeded and now fluent (or at least conversational), please share what you did, how you did it. Feel free to include links to schools/teachers too.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's tips! I personally need them 🙂

10 Replies

Community Member
(@danandber)

I have been challenged by the lack of Portuguese language classes due to the pandemic. I won’t be able to immerse myself until around October. 

So, I’m not fluent - not even close - but I found an online source that can kickstart the learning process - and it’s free. Speak.social had been providing classes where people came together, but have shifted to online only due to Covid. Each series runs for 10 days, Mon. to Fri., at 1 1/2 hours per day. 

I lead a Conversational English class, and participated in Basic Portuguese. The leader was very good, and it helped get over the hump of basic vocabulary and pronunciation; along with providing other resources for self/study. 

Speak.social is free, fun, and a great option until things open up more. 

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

Having had an apt in Portugal for more than ten years and being challenged to learn the language by our lovely neighbour I embarked on my journey some years ago. I started with Duolingo and got hooked but it's not European Portuguese! My wife saw an advert for 'Learning Portuguese in Your Pyjamas'. Looked interesting I thought 😉. Five years on... still having lessons by Skype and loving it (Duolingo got dropped years ago). Ana runs it and although I do not claim to be fluent (we don't spend enough time in Pt 😥 to fully immerse) I am confident enough to 'have a go' in most situations. I recommend Ana without hesitation. She is very capable, multi-lingual and her lessons offer great value for money. Ana can be found on FB and I have an email address if you PM me. Hope this helps someone.

Community Member
(@jives)
Trusted Member

Looks like some good resources on here.  I'd like to be able to understand a few words when we visit the Camara and so forth. We are both keen to learn situational Portuguese. 

Premium Member
(@smokietreats)

Anyone have a list of apps for learning European Portuguese?

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

@smokietreats Hi, I have a facebook group and youtube channel where I share resources (all the latest podcasts and videos etc) plus you can ask questions there. I'm not really a fan of apps but people seem to like Memrise. Avoid Duolingo as it is only available in Brasilian Portuguese 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-nl7p4q8sov-RkgtFEw_Iw

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online