OCR Software – Learning the Language – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

OCR Software

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had used any OCR software - you know, something that can take a scanned document and produce an editable text version.

In particular, does anyone know if you can link such software to a Portuguese dictionary, or at least to the Portuguese alphabet/accents - the one I've tried only "knows" English and has great difficulty with all the words ending with "-ções" for example.

Thanks,

Steve

PS - I don't want to have to pay for it :D

7 Replies

fred
VIP Member
(@fred)
Noble Member

This is something I have considered myself but not tried

My HP printer scanner comes with OCR software.

Reading the instructions you can scan a document in any language and convert it to a text document in that language regardless of your operating system.

Therefore it should be possible to scan a Portugese document then turn it into a Portugese text document.

Next copy and paste into an online translator and hey presto original converted to English

I think :oops:

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Yes, Fred, that's the idea. The trouble with the one I'm using is that it doesn't recognise the Portuguese accents and other common combinations of characters (de and em for example) which means there is a lot of correcting to do by hand before I can translate it.

I know there is always some correction needed, but I'd like the software to make a better job of it first-up.

Steve

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@stevej)
Noble Member

With further playing I've sorted out a combination that seems to work (for me at least). I've found a free program - FreeOCR - that you can use along with a language module specific to Portuguese.

Download the program from http://www.freeocr.net/

Download the Portuguese language file from here (Brazilian Portuguese unfortunately)

This will download a packed/archive file which when you unpack it will give you a series of files beginning with "por." - unpack these files into the folder c:windowstessdata

Then, when you run the FreeOCR program, you should be able to go to the "OCR Language" option (top right of the screen) and select "por".

Once you have a scanned image of the page (using whatever scanning software came with your scanner; at ideally 300dpi), you can load this image file into FreeOCR, select an area to interpret, and then save the resulting editable text file either as a plain text file or export it into MS-Word. And of course, once you have the text, you can run it through Google for a rough translation.

You may have to tweak the file a bit, especially if the original page is creased or blurred, but it recognises all the accents, it even gets the little ° symbols that "officialese" Portuguese uses all over the place.

Steve

VIP Member
(@tivinho)
Noble Member

I have TextBridge but have only ever used it once. Waste of money that was :D

My Epson scanner also has text scanning built in but I don't know if it's any good.

Page 1 / 2

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online