One hopefully simple question about the days of the week – Learning the Language – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

One hopefully simple question about the days of the week  

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
(@tommie-charles)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to learn Portuguese in the hope that I might relocate there in the next few months... just had a look at the days of the week and I'm lost... can anyone explain why the word "feira" is used from Monday to Friday and also why does it start with "segunda" rather than "primeira" since Monday is the first day of the week??

I'm trying to find a logic so that I can remember the days of the week easily.

Thanks!

Tommie

12 Replies

VIP Member
(@garysandra)
Reputable Member

Firstly Monday is the second day of the week in many places, just the first day of some people's working week. The explanation comes from market days, Sunday being the first market day and therefore Monday is the second. Feira meaning market. A bishop considered that given the planet names to week days would be very pagan so he changed it.

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

They come (slightly corrupted) from the names of the days of Easter week, according to the Latin liturgy of the Catholic Church. The original names end in feria, Latin for holiday as they were holy days reserved for religious observance rather than work.

VIP Member
(@tommie-charles)
Eminent Member

Thank you for your answers, very useful. I had a feeling it might have to do with Monday being considered as the second day of the week. OK. As long as I know, I can live with that. :)

VIP Member
(@lobito)
Famed Member

X Camone got it right :-)

Gary&Sandra's explanation might make it easier for you to remember, but it is wrong ;-)

Page 1 / 3

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online