After Advice - Pension in UK Living in Portugal income Tax – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
After Advice - Pens...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

After Advice - Pension in UK Living in Portugal income Tax

IanR
Community Member
Topic starter
(@ianr)

Hi I'm writing on behalf of my dad who I believe is now a resident in Portugal, has been living there full time the last 2 years. 

He has a UK Pension and several of his friends are being fined a lot of money for tax they should have paid on their income. (Fines include backdated non payments for 5 years i believe as well) 

Is there a guide to this - from what I can see from Gov.uk it sounds as if he should pay income tax on his pension in Portugal and apply to not pay that tax i the UK as well? 

Is there a Portugal tax calculator to see how much he should be paying or what is the calculation? 

What is the Uk process for not paying the income tax there - is it filing a tax return every year? How is the tax rapaid, can overpaid tax for previous years be claimed back? 

Regards 

Ian 

Topic Tags
2 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @ianr

I'm writing on behalf of my dad who I believe is now a resident in Portugal, has been living there full time the last 2 years. 

That would make him a tax resident of PT even if he doesn't have a resident's certificate or permit.

He has a UK Pension and several of his friends are being fined a lot of money for tax they should have paid on their income. (Fines include backdated non payments for 5 years i believe as well)

A friend of mine on a military pension (only taxable in the UK under the dual taxation treaty) got fined €150 for every year he hadn't submitted a PT tax return. If memory serves they can only apply fines and penalties for the previous 4 years.

it sounds as if he should pay income tax on his pension in Portugal and apply to not pay that tax i the UK as well? 

That is how it works and what he should have been doing. UK state pension is taxable in PT, some UK Gov pensions (e.g. military, civil service, emergency services) are only taxed in the UK but must still be declared in PT.
There is a list of which UK Gov pensions qualify for UK taxation somewhere on the UK pensions website if your father has one of them.

Is there a Portugal tax calculator to see how much he should be paying or what is the calculation? 

There probably is but the basic premise is the PT personal allowance is just over €4000 a year (UK about £12000) but other allowances can come into play, e.g. health expenditure but they are limited and not generous. PT tax bands are more numerous, the greater the income a higher tax rate applies.

What is the Uk process for not paying the income tax there - is it filing a tax return every year? How is the tax rapaid, can overpaid tax for previous years be claimed back?

You would have to ask HMRC as it may have changed after Brexit. Pre Brexit it was a simple as completing a form obtained from HMRC getting it stamped by the PT tax authority and sending it back to HMRC.
I suspect HMRC will not reimburse any tax paid to the UK without confirmation from the PT tax authority that the appropriate tax on that income has been paid to PT, but again HMRC can advise on the procedure.

Income tax is a minefield as so many personal variations come into play. My advice would be for your father to employ a PT tax accountant to get his tax affairs in order, they are a lot cheaper here than in the UK.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)
Estimable Member

Has he submitted a tax return in Portugal? If not, I'd suggest he finds an accountant to help him to do this for the 2 years he has been here so far.

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online