Any news on SEF? – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

[Solved] Any news on SEF?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Konni sent me this link about SEF being replaced?

https://www.dn.pt/politica/fim-do-sef-ps-e-be-ja-chegaram-a-acordo-para-aprovar-extincao-total-14227350.html?fbclid=IwAR0JCMwZQhkNQH5tkECDeyUNdx8m20MEARmgsh-39cPy02v2vcWndhUFaj8

If I understand it, they are replacing SEF with an institution with a more dedicated enforcement arm with specialized agents?  Do I read it they were using regular police which was leading to some human rights violations (because police weren't really trained for this role)?

3 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Trusted Member

SEF had an investigation role in terms of illegal imigration and human trafficking. That will be assumed by Polícia Judiciária, which also has that task.

In terms of border control, it will be handed over to PSP (Polícia de Segurança Pública) [in airports and cruise ports] and GNR (Guarda Nacional Republicana [land borders and ports].

The analisys of asylum claims and migration visas would be handed to SEA (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Asilo), now (apparently) replaced by the APMA (Agência Portuguesa para as Migrações e Asilo).

The further issuance of documents for foreigners will be a task for IRN (Instituto de Registos e Notariado). This might be a problem, because they are (as far as I know) already overwhelmed in work.

But because that's a political decision that has to be negotiated with within political parties, and SEF officials are still fighting against the agency's dissolution, we have to wait and see.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

@antonio_f   So, with these developments...should we  (hopeful, want-to-be Ex-Pats in Portugal) march ahead bravely with our pursuit of our D7 applications, which require 12-month leases, funded bank accounts & agency assistance services that all require much expense? If we do and arrive in PT with a D7, but then find a lengthy delay in getting a permit from the newly formed agency, will that create issues for us that we may be un-aware of?  I presume we will not be able to use the NHS, NHR and must stay put in the residence address that we originally contracted for our application, while we wait?  We're keeping the faith for now, but this feels a bit daunting.

Any thoughts are appreciated, Allie

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Trusted Member

SEF's extinction was approved in Parliament yesterday (20/10/2021), but it will take some time (months?) until the new law that creates (and organizes) APMA will be published and applied.

For what we know, when similar things happened, there's turmoil in the new services, until everyone is settled, the structure is organized, and everyone (in all organizations) are adapted to the change. So, in the first months, I guess things will be messy, disorganized.

Part of that delay will be the distribution of SEF workers (some 1300, 60% of them police officers) to the different organizations (APMA, PJ, PSP, GNR). I also believe that when the moment to renew documents comes, people will have a major headache, as IRN is understaffed.

As to placing VISA applications (D7 and others) in the near future, some things will not change, as the law will be the same (regarding Visas), and consulates and VFS will keep working. The problem will be in the last entity (SEF/APMA), responsible for the final decision. And that part is impossible to predict.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online