Any recommendations for reliable mailing service from US to Portugal – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Any recommendations...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Any recommendations for reliable mailing service from US to Portugal

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Trusted Member

I am just starting The V7 visa process and need some recommendations for a reliable and timely method of shipping documents from the United States to Lisbon Portugal.

I’m not a fan of the US Postal service. I’m considering FedEx or UPS.

Thanks for advice, john

14 Replies

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Trusted Member

Oops D7

Premium Member
(@davidiryna)
Eminent Member

we used FEDEX 1 day delivery, delivered on time.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jgibson)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the reply. I will give Fedex a try. 

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@jgibson

I highly discourage you from using FedEx. Our daughter sent us a packet of papers and some prescription medication that weighed very little. It cost $200 to ship expedited FEx. It took a week to get to Lisbon where FedEx turned it over to a 3rd part carrier who emailed and called us repeatedly demanding 300 euros more,   before they would deliver the package. I refused and called FedEx in the States and complained. They said they would try to get the package delivered. TRY??? It took over another 5 weeks and finally paying a ransom of 80 euro more to get the package!

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Trusted Member

@peggyl

have you had any reliable service from any other carriers?

we are sending out paperwork to Ei in Lisbon from Missouri 

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@jgibson

We received a new credit card from the states via the plain old mail service. It was registered and insured. 

We also received a check via DHL

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@charw23)

Eminent Member

@jgibson

Agreed.. I had a note on a different thread about shipping. FEDEX and UPS do not work well, at ALL! DHL is the best way for international docs to Ei in Lisbon. We used DHL frequently when we lived in Germany, and it's far superior. They are a known entity in Europe, reliable, good tracking, status, etc. Fedex is a crap shoot when sending important docs internationally. They find themselves stuck in buildings, misrouted, etc. 

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Trusted Member

@peggyl

Lol my wife just relayed a similar problem with FedEx sending our son his atm card while he was in Brazil. 

Ralf
Premium Member
(@ralf)

I would not use FedEx. I have had a package stuck with them in Lisbon for two months. Customer service is not existent. I have placed a dozen phone calls to them regarding this matter, and it is like talking to a toaster.

Page 1 / 2

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online