Best bank in Portugal - suggestion needed – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Best bank in Portug...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

Best bank in Portugal - suggestion needed

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@kiukkien)

Hi,

I already have a bank account in Portugal but I'm looking at alternatives now...I'm interested in knowing feedback/opinions/experience from people about the following banks:

- Santander Totta

- BPI

- Credito Agricola

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

10 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

I have an account with Banco CTT (the post office) which has no charges. Very happy with them.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@pamalcobaca

thanks! Interesting...I forgot about Banco CTT...need to check if there is one nearby as well...just in case... Do they also have online banking?

(@pamalcobaca)

@kiukkien yes they do, can't tell you much about that I'm afraid as I haven't used it!

Milu
(@casadassetemarias76gmail-com)

I have two bank accounts here in Portugal, neither bank is on your list!  We first set up with Novo Banco, then last year opened an account with Millenium BCP.   

We have excellent personal service from each bank, and with both banks, I feel that our account rep has become in between an acquaintance and a friend. 

I moved here from the USA although I'm Canadian - and I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of sophistication with banking here.  I was particularly happy with Millenium, as I do almost everything online and at the ATMs, and Milleniums machinery (i'm sure there is a better word for it) is very good.  I can cash a cheque up to 2,000€ at the self-serve 24 hour kiosk, or print cheques at another kiosk.  

I think that the only bank that doesn't charge service fees, or charges very little service fees, is the post office bank - CTT.   For me, service fees are a cost of doing business, so while I don't want to get soaked on fees, I also know it's a necessary evil.

Does this help? Probably not too much!!

1 Reply
Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@casadassetemarias76gmail-com

Hi Milu,

every bit of information does help to make an informed choice therefore, thank you very much! 🙂 I didn't mention Millenium because I limited my list to the banks with offices near where I live but, taking into account that nowadays with lot of banks a lot of things can be done online it could be interesting too...thank you!

(@anavieira)

Hello,

If you are looking for a bank that does not charge you fees, also look at ActivoBank, which is part of Millennium Bank, but works mostly online. I am client for more than 10 year, never had a problem. Never paid for cards (debit and credit), never paid for money transfer or any other service.
They are mostly online but if you need to do a deposit, you can do it on the Millennium Bank ATM machines.
And their mobile app as well as their website is available in english.

🙂

Hope it helps,

Ana  

1 Reply
Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@anavieira

Thanks a lot for the information!

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

I can def recomend CA Ag...far and away the most friendly and helpful in my experience.

I tried Millenium but in Caldas I never found it possible without long queue and wait, so I moved on

I also have Santander but they change T and Cs by telling you in portuguese on page 5 of online monthly statement...ie...you dont find out until after implimented soif you read all pages of a statement you could be fine...I dont

1 Reply
Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@crazy-russian,

thanks a lot! that's good to know as it is one of the few banks that are near to where I live and I was wondering if it was good or not. 👍 

Page 1 / 2

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online