Changes to data allowances for all UK mobile phone users – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Changes to data all...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Changes to data allowances for all UK mobile phone users

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@snatty-phil)

Dear all. Please be aware that in checking how much data I would have on my unlimited data UK plan, I was informed of a change that was happening on O2 on the 2nd August. My unlimited data package would only be good for 25Gb per month data usage and above that would be a whopping £3.50 per gb. If it is happening on O2 it is almost certainly happening on all of them. I think I will get an unlimited data sim from Meo when we arrive in Portugal and turn data roaming off. Just wanted to let you know.

Topic Tags
8 Replies

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)
Eminent Member

Hi Phil, this has been the case since, and maybe even before, Brexit. For example, UK provider 3 has limited free EU usage to 20GB per month for some time, irrespective of having an unlimited data plan.

Good news is that most bars, cafes and restaurants have free wifi (some even have 5G) as do most public spaces in the towns.

Trick is not to data roam whilst travelling, use gps for map/location navigation and download/connect to the internet only when either stationry or where there is free wifi.

Safe travels,

PLL.

1 Reply
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@comfortapaul exactly. EU rules on free roaming were originally conceived for voice and text, and the data element is based on a proportion of your contracted data, and reasonable use. So, even in the EU, there is no requirement for unlimited free roaming.

All your points on saving data are valid and really important. Even "unlimited" data/hotspot contracts/PAYG (and by the way, you need not have a contract, or pay more than €1 per day) actually have fair usage limits, to prevent people using them for commercial purposes. They'll allow a lot more than the O2 limit mentioned - 8-10 times as much, typically - but they are not without a limit.

Premium Member
(@wt)

Plusnet told me that I could use my uk data and roaming  not a problem I bought a portable WiFi device  from 3 who told me it would supply 19gb a month but they have cut to 12 without warning so have no data left

It's been suggested I get a Portuguese Mobile data pay as you go  box 

Has anyone used one and if so  which can they recommend? 

2 Replies
(@thomasribatejo)

@wt in this post:

https://expatsportugal.com/community/postid/184668/

I provided the sites which can assist in checking coverage - the second set refers to mobile broadband (banda larga/hotspot).  

In my area, I use Vodafone - but as that might not give you the best coverage, this is purely illustrative - deals, pricing, "unlimited" inclusion may vary with the other providers.  I am now using €15 for 15 days (or longer periods at the same €1 per day rate) for "unlimited".  "Unlimited" is actually capped at 200Gb per month (I believe that's the level, but do check before signing up), so it won't support truly unlimited gaming/video, but should cover standard home working, a couple of hours of Netflix a day, etc.  Beware, the "unlimited" deals are relatively new, so they might not set you up with that unless you are very clear - offers with much lower caps remain standard (and at very similar prices!), so ensure you buy the right SIM (as for some reason, the SIM you buy dictates the package you're on) and check that if they have a "15 days free with a hotspot" that it is the unlimited deal, not the "old" one.

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

Eminent Member

@wt this has just happened to us too. Louise is with Three and has received a message from Three saying that with immediate effect the reasonable data limit is now 12Gb per billing period.

Regards,

PLL

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @wt

Has anyone used one and if so  which can they recommend?

Yes, the one I would recommend is the one that gives you the best signal where you live.
For my location NOS is superb, Vodaphone is useable, and Meo is useless.

Premium Member
(@wt)

Thanks I am in central Portugal Coimbra district but in village near Argenil

1 Reply
(@thomasribatejo)

@wt the coverage is very locally specific, do use the links to the maps in the link in my above post, and use the relevant functions to zoom right in.  Different parts of the same town can have different coverage.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online